Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Finish up a pair of 4pis
Finish up a pair of 4pis [message #91667] Mon, 06 April 2020 11:17 Go to next message
Jensen is currently offline  Jensen
Esquire
I'm the farthest thing from a wood worker and have never build a speaker before. But you buy the ticket, you take the ride... (buy a soldering iron for the crossover too)

I always found the visual proportions of the 4pi to be a little challenging. Also, the waveguide gives them a decidedly PA aesthetic. So I tried to church them up a bit. Hoping for a vintage hifi vibe.

Sunk the JBL 2226 about 3/8" to match the protrusion of the waveguide. Doubled up the motor board behind the woofer.

Took a lot of looking but found a cherry board that was figured similarly to the cherry veneer I'd selected. Trimmed out the cabs with a vintage feeling facet (sansui?).

Having never so much as held a piece of veneer before, it was a struggle. I'm really happy with how the book match came out on the backs, but I didn't dare try it on the sides. So the sides aren't as highly figured as they could have been. But whatever.

The sound is as amazing as everyone says. Being driven by a pair of 100w Ashlys, the vocals and mid range strings are particularly spectacular. Hoping to take them out side for a blast sometime this week.

So... fun project with a result that I'm happy with. Thanks Wayne.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2554&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2555&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2556&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2557&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2558&private=0
  • Attachment: IMG_9671.jpg
    (Size: 1.45MB, Downloaded 278 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_9672.jpg
    (Size: 1.73MB, Downloaded 277 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_9673.jpg
    (Size: 1.60MB, Downloaded 266 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_9668.jpg
    (Size: 1.49MB, Downloaded 278 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_9670.jpg
    (Size: 1.76MB, Downloaded 281 times)
Re: Finish up a pair of 4pis [message #91668 is a reply to message #91667] Mon, 06 April 2020 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those look stunning! I love the wood sides and black baffle. Superb!
Re: Finish up a pair of 4pis [message #91674 is a reply to message #91667] Tue, 07 April 2020 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's stretching humility a bit there. Cause if your the farthest thing from a woodworker then I'm gonna be careful walking under a tree. Because there may be a pig up there living in it. Beautiful job. Lets just say, your a natural. Butchering wood pleasingly. I've wondered if Pi speakers aren't more popular among'st the diy crowd because the aesthetic these days are skinny tower type speakers. And among high sensitivity types, those full range whizzer cone jobs that I've read screech at you over a limited bandwidth. Anyway, the Pi old school monkey coffin is fine with me. And a well crafted interpretation looks wonderful. Because like your experiencing now. The sound they make.
Re: Finish up a pair of 4pis [message #91675 is a reply to message #91667] Wed, 08 April 2020 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Rusty. Like I said, they sound amazing. I couldn't be happier.
Re: Finish up a pair of 4pis [message #91889 is a reply to message #91667] Sat, 16 May 2020 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Symphonimind is currently offline  Symphonimind
Baron
That is the best looking 4Pi I have ever seen!
Did you go with DE250 & 2226H combo?
Re: Finish up a pair of 4pis [message #91892 is a reply to message #91889] Sun, 17 May 2020 08:59 Go to previous message
Esquire
That's a bold and inaccurate statement, but thank you! They are loaded with the DE250 and JBL 2226H. I couldn't be happier with the sound. I don't believe there is a substitute for large drivers moving large amounts of air, regardless of the frequency.
Fun project too.
Previous Topic: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life
Next Topic: Horn loaded Corona Build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 02 04:04:28 CDT 2020

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers