Home » Sponsored » OddWatt Audio » Phono Preamp First Look
Phono Preamp First Look [message #91619] Tue, 24 March 2020 15:33 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. Second try at posting this. First time was a bit scrambled. Anyhow the phono preamp now is reality and I am happy with it. It has been a long road but IMO worth the many iterations and problems with it. It is quiet, has exceptional response (+/- 0.3 db 20HZ to nearly 30KHZ) and sounds quite lovely IMO. It does both MM/MI and LOMC (with built in Lundahl SUTs). If LSAF is a go and we feel safe attending it will be the main exhibit as all other gear is largely the same as in the past. I will probably bring my personal gear as opposed as kits just to add variety.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2539&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2540&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2541&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2542&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2543&private=0
  • Attachment: pp1 front.jpg
    (Size: 90.83KB, Downloaded 782 times)
  • Attachment: pp1 back.jpg
    (Size: 100.99KB, Downloaded 873 times)
  • Attachment: PP1 inside.jpg
    (Size: 307.44KB, Downloaded 879 times)
  • Attachment: PP1 open.jpg
    (Size: 216.49KB, Downloaded 880 times)
  • Attachment: pp1 top.jpg
    (Size: 99.83KB, Downloaded 865 times)

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #91622 is a reply to message #91619] Wed, 25 March 2020 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sweet! That really looks nice, Bruce. Can't wait to hear it at LSAF 2020 in June!
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #91623 is a reply to message #91622] Wed, 25 March 2020 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi One thing that may not be obvious in the photos is this thing is big. 17 X 12 X 3. It weighs about 10 pounds. Since we wanted to have the best internal arrangement as was reasonable we spread things out. Customization is probably in the wind for users. Various Lundahl SUTs fit the same foot print and various step up gains are possible. Everything from 5 to 32. Various loadings are built in already. Some variation of coupling capacitors is possible. Some however are more sensitive to hum and may not be a good choice. The Russian K40Y-9s in the photos are paper in oil and sound quite nice IMO. Otherwise I would not use it in my system. We anticipate making the front panel distinctive as it is now rather industrial.

Hopefully the virus doesn't scuttle the LSAF or scare folks away from visiting it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #91624 is a reply to message #91619] Wed, 25 March 2020 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
In the future, would it be possible to make MM only phono version and no MC? Bad idea?
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #91625 is a reply to message #91624] Wed, 25 March 2020 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Certainly. All that needs to be done when it is assembled is leave out the Lundahl SUTs, delete a few resistors and it will be MM/MI only. That was in the plans from the start. It will also make it less costly (prices not yet determined) but the Lundahls add nearly $200 to the cost.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #91630 is a reply to message #91625] Thu, 26 March 2020 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I am sure your new phono preamp is superior to Groovewatt, right!
Also, a new name perhaps like Superwatt. You will think of something.
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #91638 is a reply to message #91630] Thu, 26 March 2020 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes. It is nameless at the moment. Suggestions are always welcome. For those of you with sharp eyes....you will notice that I have been trying different capacitors in it. One photo shows Russian K40Y-9 paper in oil capacitors the other shot shows some Audyn Caps Plus. My personal variations (earlier builds ) use Audyn True Copper Caps in one and the K40Y-9s in the other. All combinations sound great to my ears. Right now the edge seems to be for the K40Y-9s. A nice smooth but accurate sound. The Audyns are a bit more mellow to my ears.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #92517 is a reply to message #91638] Sun, 25 October 2020 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Everyone, we have revised it a bit and the second generation is about 2/3 the size and even better (slightly) for S/N. They are really quiet. IMO same lovely sound. A third generation incorporating some internal component refinements is being assembled right now. It ought to be the same as the second, but in a more manageable size chassis. (12X8X3). We are crossing our fingers that nothing else gets in the way and they could be on the street for Christmas in limited numbers. I wonder though how many revisions the other companies do to get stuff suitable for market. Amps and line stages are easy. Phono preamps not so. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #94098 is a reply to message #92517] Sun, 25 July 2021 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Have you made any progress? You worked so many, many years on this project, I like to see your efforts pay off. Hang in there and never give up.
Re: Phono Preamp First Look [message #94102 is a reply to message #94098] Sun, 25 July 2021 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Yes there is progress. First couple items are being assembled this week. Still supplier and fabricator issues and the first few will be hand built by us. They will need to be thoroughly tested for performance before any can go out. No name or price yet. Cross your fingers that all comes together well. It has been a long road. BTW, I presently use a second gen prototype(modified to production mods) as my main phono preamp. The final ones are expected to be as noted even slightly better as the layout is a little different and can't be changed on mine.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Phono Preamp Beta Testers
Next Topic: New Site is coming
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:50:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers