Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Star Trek: Picard
Star Trek: Picard [message #91582] Wed, 18 March 2020 19:07 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think we've got some Star Trek fans here, so is anyone else watching this show? It's amazing how little Patrick Stewart seems to have aged over the years and Jean-Luc Picard is one of my favorite characters borne from the franchise. Though he isn't quite the same. It's nice to see some of the old cast members too. A couple of episodes were slow, but the last two have been especially good. But I'm not sure where we're going and the season is supposed to end soon.
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #91585 is a reply to message #91582] Thu, 19 March 2020 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like Patrick Stewart and I liked the character Jean-Luc Picard. But who wouldn't? He was almost inhumanly altruistic and wise. He and his whole crew almost always did the right thing, and acted better than every other creature in the universe, even those that were immortal.

That made the Next Generation series less enjoyable for me. I loved Jean-Luc. I loved Data. I loved Deanna Troi. But again, they were all impossibly good: Perfectly altruistic, perfectly wise, always acting the way we would like to believe they should.

That's why I liked the original series best. And for the same reason, I really liked "Star Trek: Enterprise." In each of those series, the crew acted like humans, with character flaws and realistic reactions. They still almost always "won" in the end, but we Americans like our heroes to win in the end. At least they suffered some setbacks as a result of their own mistakes or the mistakes of their (our) culture. That made them much more believable series for me.
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #91586 is a reply to message #91585] Thu, 19 March 2020 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You couldn't help but take a liking to Jean-Luc, his stern countenance. His unwavering pledge to go where no ones been. "Make it so". He'd say. I'd always fill in some vulgarity at the end of that command for my own amusement. Yes, the show was a bit too correct for one to get too sentimental about the characters. Of all, I'd say the cyborg or artificial human Data was the most easy to root for. But still, the original show for me too. That hot headed Dr., the cool minded Vulcan and the over sexed captain. Shush, you just couldn't go wrong. Even if some of the plot lines were stretching it. Alien Nazi's and off-world George Raft gangsters? Uhhhh, yeah. Still I enjoy watching it.
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #91587 is a reply to message #91586] Thu, 19 March 2020 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Rusty wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 13:25
You couldn't help but take a liking to Jean-Luc, his stern countenance. His unwavering pledge to go where no ones been. "Make it so". He'd say. I'd always fill in some vulgarity at the end of that command for my own amusement.

Oh, man, that's funny! I can just hear that in my mind too. Laughing
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #91755 is a reply to message #91587] Fri, 24 April 2020 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Have you guys seen the new series? It's called Star Trek: Picard and it is available on CBS All Access and Amazon Prime Video. Season one recently ended.
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #91756 is a reply to message #91755] Fri, 24 April 2020 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks for the heads-up!
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #91814 is a reply to message #91755] Sat, 02 May 2020 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Leot55 wrote on Fri, 24 April 2020 19:20
Have you guys seen the new series? It's called Star Trek: Picard and it is available on CBS All Access and Amazon Prime Video. Season one recently ended.
Yes! What did you think about it? I didn't think the story accomplished much because the season was so short, but thankfully there'll be a season 2. I liked this series better than Discovery. I cried like a baby during that goodbye scene with Data.
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #91821 is a reply to message #91814] Mon, 04 May 2020 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
It was good to see them have closure. I believe that's it for Data unless someone else fills the iconic role since Brent Spiner has said that was his last time. Seeing some of the old characters brought back to life was probably the biggest plus to this series. The worst was seeing Picard portrayed as somehow less than he used to be. I'll tune in for season two. I just hope there's more action and less meandering dialogue.
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #92769 is a reply to message #91821] Mon, 14 December 2020 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
I didn't enjoy the first season of Picard as much as some other people have. For me, Star Trek as a series is about optimism and seeing how good future people can be. So far, this new series hasn't captured that feeling for me. I'm hoping that season 2 will get back to a more optimistic tone. Confused
Re: Star Trek: Picard [message #93094 is a reply to message #91582] Sun, 07 February 2021 22:25 Go to previous message
penguin89 is currently offline  penguin89
Baron
I found the show to be pretty underwhelming. I was hoping for something that would revitalize the franchise, but instead it felt like a story that didn't need to be told in the Star Trek universe. I probably won't watch the next season.
Previous Topic: Help with streaming services
Next Topic: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:05:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout