Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Witch
The Witch [message #91557] Sun, 15 March 2020 12:40 Go to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Anybody seen this movie? It sure lingered on with me having watched it the other day. It's a psychological, metaphysical quest of a new world family cast out of their Jamestown type of colonial fort, to fend for themselves in the new world wilderness of New England. Slowly they are beset by evil taking their children, their crops and their minds by an entity(s) in the dark woods. Dialogue all in the period of Shakespearean English tongue. I had to switch on captions to understand. Thou art taken with the story unfold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQXmlf3Sefg
Re: The Witch [message #91564 is a reply to message #91557] Mon, 16 March 2020 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I saw it a couple of years ago or so. I figured it would turn cheesy, but it was surprisingly well-done. I like horror films that slowly build rather than those that rely solely on jump scares. A mix of both is perfect. The film was praised for using the appropriate vernacular for that time period, but I would've liked it better with modern language. That's just a mild criticism from me because it was easy enough to follow. Caleb was an interesting character and enjoyable to watch. I hated the ending though!
Re: The Witch [message #91565 is a reply to message #91564] Mon, 16 March 2020 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It was very well acted I thought. Capturing what one would imagine the period of history was like. Brutish and short. The language helped I thought. I don't mind captions. Many fine foreign films I've seen with it. The ending didn't bother me too much, though a pity. As the young maiden was suspect of being touched by the evil's plans. Another soul to add to it's collection. I guess the screenplay was an amalgamation of the time period's fable's and folk tales. Glad you confirmed it's quality. Fine cinema.
Re: The Witch [message #91870 is a reply to message #91557] Fri, 15 May 2020 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
It's funny how the English language has evolved over the years to the point where you need translation to understand some of it. I haven't seen the movie yet (The premise is right up my alley) but when I do, I'll start without the subtitles and go from there.

If you have a period piece movie like that, you should have the language native to the era.
Re: The Witch [message #91871 is a reply to message #91870] Fri, 15 May 2020 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Can you imagine how someone from that era would be perplexed with our language of today? How would they interpret, "Yo dog, wassup?" Anyway, part of my problem was due to the lousy fidelity of my newish smart tv speakers. Since the covid lockdown, I've shelved my quest to find a decent soundbar for the smart tele. You might catch on with the Shakespeareian dialect better than I could. Give a review, good or bad if you watch it.
Re: The Witch [message #91896 is a reply to message #91557] Mon, 18 May 2020 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
You might want to link it because I'm not finding it. What I'm finding is set in modern times, no old language, low budget and now the same premise.
Re: The Witch [message #91901 is a reply to message #91896] Mon, 18 May 2020 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Rat cheer. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/
Re: The Witch [message #91937 is a reply to message #91901] Sat, 23 May 2020 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I couldn't get into it personally. Ye old language was a snore and the whole premise was a cliché. The woods are scary. Evil lurks in the woods. That's not new or profound.
Re: The Witch [message #91939 is a reply to message #91937] Sun, 24 May 2020 08:39 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can understand not being pulled into such a period piece. That language is verily.... Difficult. And sure, the dark woods are a big part of folklore and many tales in print and celluloid. That's what this production was culled from. Folklore and spooky tales from the period. Some folk like super hero and slasher films. To me, a genre done to death. This is sort of a departure from that.
Previous Topic: Which are the most anticipated ones?
Next Topic: The Men Who Built America
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:31:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout