Home » Audio » Speaker » Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound [message #91548] Fri, 13 March 2020 20:15 Go to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
There's an article in the recent edition of Copper Magazine that talks about Owsley Stanley and The Greatful Dead's sound system known as the wall of sound.

https://www.psaudio.com/article/bear-the-owsley-stanley-story-part-four/

"The stage system stood forty feet high and seventy feet wide and sported 88 15 inch JBL speakers, 174 12-inch JBL speakers, 288 5-inch JBL speakers, (dude, remember how popular JBLs were?) and 54 Electro-Voice tweeters. The sound was powered by 26,000 watts generated by 55 McIntosh MC2300 amps. Giddyup."

Very Happy
Re: Wall of Sound [message #91551 is a reply to message #91548] Sat, 14 March 2020 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That was pretty far out man. Speaker columns for every bass string and all. Stanley evidently laid the ground work for today's touring companies. Though I never cared for the Dead and their extended into next week jams. Hearing that would have been amazing for the day. Speaking of hearing too, I doubt protective elements for loud music hadn't been developed yet during that period. I'd been to shows that probably contributed to my tinnitus of today. Shows where you are pounded by the sound system. Those guys must of taken a beating with that get up. Whew! Great article. Sex & drugs & rock n roll is very good indeed. For a while. Not conducive to longevity though.
Re: Wall of Sound [message #91554 is a reply to message #91551] Sat, 14 March 2020 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
"Speaker columns for every bass string"

Yeah that sounds like it was a blast.

Never went to a Dead show but did do too many loud concerts back in the day. Got tinnitus, too.

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll are very good indeed. Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Great stuff. Very Happy
Re: Wall of Sound [message #91555 is a reply to message #91554] Sat, 14 March 2020 18:50 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Glad you made the connection Barry. Ian Dury. A rude, crude, social abomination at times Limey. But delightfully fun to interpret his lyrics skewering everything he took in his life. Wreckless Eric. There's another one. As Ian said of him. "E's a good lad".
Previous Topic: Recommended laptop speakers
Next Topic: The era of Bluetooth 4.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:49:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout