Home » Audio » Speaker » The era of Bluetooth 4.1
The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91522] Thu, 05 March 2020 00:54 Go to next message
Joyce is currently offline  Joyce
Chancellor
Recently, my co-workers and I were discussing new wireless headphones and speakers. One argued about having Bluetooth 4.1 as the most important feature to invest in. I think the gadgets I own right now still operate with Bluetooth 4.0 without any issue, so I wonder it's just an advertisement trick.
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91578 is a reply to message #91522] Wed, 18 March 2020 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taurus is currently offline  Taurus
Chancellor
I am a simple guy. If something works, then it is usable. Age is irrelevant. Then again, I suppose it's also related to the gadgets you're using. I'm not sure about the compatibility of different generations, so just make sure everything still works well with each other. Sometimes, many of these features are just gimmicks anyway.
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91596 is a reply to message #91522] Fri, 20 March 2020 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I've been trying to read more about this, and I realized I missed quite a few details. There are newer generations to the Bluetooth system (such as the Bluetooth 5.0). While this technology has been utilized for other things, the audio system is not that advanced. I guess that's the answer I've been looking for.
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91599 is a reply to message #91522] Sat, 21 March 2020 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Bluetooth, just like any other technology, evolves, and newer versions are usually better. The only downside is that you can't upgrade it in a cell phone or any other standalone device, but you can do this on a PC.
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91621 is a reply to message #91599] Tue, 24 March 2020 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
lilbill wrote on Sat, 21 March 2020 12:46
Bluetooth, just like any other technology, evolves, and newer versions are usually better. The only downside is that you can't upgrade it in a cell phone or any other standalone device, but you can do this on a PC.
That's one point, though PC is getting too old for our needs these days (except for those who play lots of games at home, I guess). The issue is the audio files aren't exactly coded to be optimized according to the Bluetooth generation. If the data transfer is no different, then the sound quality we perceive also stays the same.
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91643 is a reply to message #91621] Fri, 27 March 2020 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Joyce wrote on Tue, 24 March 2020 23:01
lilbill wrote on Sat, 21 March 2020 12:46
That's one point, though PC is getting too old for our needs these days (except for those who play lots of games at home, I guess). The issue is the audio files aren't exactly coded to be optimized according to the Bluetooth generation. If the data transfer is no different, then the sound quality we perceive also stays the same.
I agree with you that we may not need PCs in a few years, but I also think gamers will continue using them. We keep seeing PCs with better specs all the time, so I don't think they are becoming obsolete anytime soon. Is it probable that they will keep getting smaller in size but with more powerful processors?
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91645 is a reply to message #91643] Fri, 27 March 2020 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
sawyer25 wrote on Fri, 27 March 2020 17:53
I agree with you that we may not need PCs in a few years, but I also think gamers will continue using them. We keep seeing PCs with better specs all the time, so I don't think they are becoming obsolete anytime soon. Is it probable that they will keep getting smaller in size but with more powerful processors?
I feel like that's where the laptops are going. PCs have always been the ones to change in everything but size. In terms of Bluetooth compatibility, it seems like portable gadgets get an advanced system because of their nature. I'm happy either way since now I know I don't need to rush to get the latest Bluetooth version because it's not going to affect my experience that much.
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91650 is a reply to message #91522] Tue, 31 March 2020 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Joyce wrote on Thu, 05 March 2020 00:54
Recently, my co-workers and I were discussing new wireless headphones and speakers. One argued about having Bluetooth 4.1 as the most important feature to invest in. I think the gadgets I own right now still operate with Bluetooth 4.0 without any issue, so I wonder it's just an advertisement trick.
The thing with this technology is that it is backward compatible, meaning that it is possible to use a Bluetooth 4.2 device with Bluetooth 5.0 device. With the latest Bluetooth version (5.0), you can play audio on two connected devices at the same time!
Re: The era of Bluetooth 4.1 [message #91656 is a reply to message #91645] Fri, 03 April 2020 13:24 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Joyce wrote on Fri, 27 March 2020 23:40
sawyer25 wrote on Fri, 27 March 2020 17:53
I feel like that's where the laptops are going. PCs have always been the ones to change in everything but size. In terms of Bluetooth compatibility, it seems like portable gadgets get an advanced system because of their nature. I'm happy either way since now I know I don't need to rush to get the latest Bluetooth version because it's not going to affect my experience that much.
I agree with you in every way. PCs have been of the same size for quite some time despite the specifications getting better. Will we get to a point where we don't need them at all? What makes them so relevant in this day and age?
Previous Topic: Wall of Sound
Next Topic: Headphone/mic combo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:51:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout