Home » Audio » Source » Problems with turntable's ground wires, help needed.
Problems with turntable's ground wires, help needed. [message #12766] Sat, 04 February 2006 09:03 Go to next message
Riksa is currently offline  Riksa
Esquire
Can someone explain to me how is it possible that connecting my Sony turntable's right channel's ground wire into my amp shuts down the whole left channel? The wires have been replaced and should be intact. I have a Sony PS-LX220 turntable and a Finnish ASA tube amp and the channels go through an RCA->DIN adapter. The problem appeared suddenly, after I replaced my stylus with a new one. I really can't see how the new stylus could do this. So basically, with only the left channel connected, I get left channel output, but as I connect the right one, the left one shuts down and I get right channel output. If I connect the right one only halfway(so that the ground wire is not connected), both channels work, but with slightly reduced quality. The right channel alone also works. Spooky. Any help?

Re: Problems with turntable's ground wires, help needed. [message #12767 is a reply to message #12766] Mon, 06 February 2006 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Could it be that the grounds are connected together at the cartridge, and that you have the left channel's wires reversed? That would give this symptom, so you might check it out to see. Reverse the wires on the left output from the cartridge and see if it works.

Re: Problems with turntable's ground wires, help needed. [message #12768 is a reply to message #12767] Mon, 06 February 2006 23:07 Go to previous message
Riksa is currently offline  Riksa
Esquire
Thanks for the advice. I returned to the problem, and, oddly enough, there was no problem. The thing worked like a charm. So problem solved, albeit by itself. It really makes me wonder what in the world was going on with my equipment last Saturday.

Previous Topic: Pioneer RT - 707 woes (wows)
Next Topic: Turntable Thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 06:14:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout