Home » Audio » Source » Going physical in digital era (Are physical releases still necessary?)
Re: Going physical in digital era [message #91813 is a reply to message #91759] Sat, 02 May 2020 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Did vinyl always come with more extras than cassettes and CDs? I was very young when vinyl was the in thing, but I remember booklets, posters, stickers, interview pages, and all sorts of stuff coming with the album. On the other hand, CDs usually just came with a basic insert which listed who was involved in the making of the CD and a few notes from the artists thanking various people, but it was nothing you'd want to hang onto necessarily. I wonder why the music industry stopped making it special? Those plastic cases that CDs came in could've held quite a bit.

Kingfish wrote on Sun, 26 April 2020 15:05

Digital music is as impersonal as it gets, and art should not be an impersonal experience.
That would be a good marketing pitch. How poetic.
Re: Going physical in digital era [message #91815 is a reply to message #91813] Sun, 03 May 2020 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Size matters. And the CD case is just too small to include too many goodies within. While most vinyl packaging was rather like the CD case in that it was just the facts ma'am. The size of the medium and cover allowed for some creative interpretation of the music contained within. The famous Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers album with the pelvic view, blue jean clad torso with enhanced anatomy, (sock no doubt) and a working zipper that fortunately contained nothing behind it.
Re: Going physical in digital era [message #91864 is a reply to message #91457] Thu, 14 May 2020 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Those extras were pretty rare, Madison, that's probably why you remember it happening when you were so young. It stood out because it wasn't common. Things like that were usually reserved for special anniversary albums or one that was hyped up and highly anticipated. I think you're more likely to find extra goodies with record albums that are put out today than you were back then. The artwork was always interesting though.
Re: Going physical in digital era [message #92487 is a reply to message #91457] Fri, 23 October 2020 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wouldn't call them rare as much as they were done by the artists who could afford it. Stones, Elton, Wings.......bands like that could afford to pay for the extra printing, artwork, gate-folds, etc....on their albums, so they did it.

I used to have some of the best of the best from the 70's and 80's, then I would walk into a Goodwill on Saturday because the little lady wanted the 50% off sales, and the record bins would have all the lesser known artists from back when. Seeing those types of albums really put it all into perspective.
Re: Going physical in digital era [message #92499 is a reply to message #92487] Sat, 24 October 2020 21:11 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There may be a resurgence of the trend as a number of my newer LPs have inserts that have everything from the lyrics to information about the artists. Several have the double folded jackets with all sort of stuff inside. True though that most do not and a like many older LPs. Vinyl LPs made in colored vinyl are starting to show up again as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Stylus Inspection
Next Topic: Create your own
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:16:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers