Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Needing Some Mid Horn Hints
Needing Some Mid Horn Hints [message #91392] Thu, 30 January 2020 16:58 Go to next message
Bane2871 is currently offline  Bane2871
Esquire
I've got the 4 sides of the midhorn kit built up and am getting ready to add the mounting plate. I noticed, though, that the mounting plate for the driver is smaller than the outside dimension of the horn (12" for the plate and 13.5" for the outside of the horn). How do most people mount the horn assembly into the enclosure?

I haven't started the enclosure yet because I want to get the dimensions correct. Is the mid horn typically built with a 3/4" spacer above and below the mounting plate to support the weight of the driver or is the enclosure built to the 12" internal (internal for the enclosure) dimension with a very severe angle cut at the front edge of the top and bottom of the enclosure?

Also, is the interior of the enclosure open to the horn flair or is there a divider at the driver mounting plate to create a separate chamber? The midhorn detail drawing implies a separate chamber, but is not explicitly stated.

Lastly, is the driver mounted with just pilot holes and wood screws or are blind nuts (t-nuts) generally used?

Thanks

Edit: This is the midhorn for the Pi7. I forgot to include that bit of info. Sorry.
Re: Needing Some Mid Horn Hints [message #91393 is a reply to message #91392] Thu, 30 January 2020 18:51 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The mounting plate is smaller then the enclosure so you can have access to both sides of the mounting plate and also to the area surrounding the flare. I usually fill the area between the flare sides and the cabinet with acoustic insulation. I also like having some wedge-shaped braces between the side panels of the horn and the cabinet.
Previous Topic: 3pi plan request
Next Topic: Thermionic 3 question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:48:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout