Home » Audio » Source » turntable surface noise in right channel
turntable surface noise in right channel [message #12746] Wed, 01 February 2006 08:27 Go to next message
daniel is currently offline  daniel
Esquire
hello, I recently bought a technics SL 1200 MK2. When I play records on it, and there is any surface noise, the noise is always much louder in the right channel, often like a constant crackle, while in the right there will only be a few pops. I thought it was the old cartridge, but I got a new one (a shure cartridge) and the problem persists. any ideas as to the problem? thanks, daniel

Re: turntable surface noise in right channel [message #12756 is a reply to message #12746] Thu, 02 February 2006 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Maybe check the wiring between cartridge and output jacks.

Re: turntable surface noise in right channel [message #12762 is a reply to message #12756] Thu, 02 February 2006 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daniel is currently offline  daniel
Esquire
how can I do that? would that involve taking apart the turntable? thanks

Re: turntable surface noise in right channel [message #12764 is a reply to message #12762] Fri, 03 February 2006 13:11 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, you'll have to fish the wire out through the tone arm and out the body and replace it with new wire. Do a test first - Disconnect the wires at the cartridge and run new wires externally along the tone arm, taping them to the outside. Put an RCA plug on them at the end of the tone arm and connect your preamp cables there. It will be a makeshift jury rig that will allow you to test without going through too much trouble. If the new makeshift wires sound clean, then the problem is in the wires or connections on the existing wires run inside the arm. You'll want to fish them out and replace them. But if the problem persists even after you've run external wires, you'll know that the problem isn't with the internal wires or connections.

Previous Topic: hum crackle and pops
Next Topic: Pioneer RT - 707 woes (wows)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 04:28:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio