Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Biggest waste of money?
Biggest waste of money? [message #91365] Tue, 21 January 2020 15:46 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Some changes offer more bang for the buck than others, so which do you think are the biggest waste of money? Maybe the gadget/addition/treatment/improvement enhances the audio, but the return is minuscule when compared to the cost. Personally, I don't think those foam acoustic panels do much, but they're often recommended as a first step. At least they aren't terribly expensive though.
Re: Biggest waste of money? [message #91367 is a reply to message #91365] Wed, 22 January 2020 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taurus is currently offline  Taurus
Chancellor
The one thing I can think about now is buying a cabinet for my speakers. Since my family couldn't afford the great surround speakers, we decided to use this trick. It turns out that we don't get any significant boost in sound experience.
Re: Biggest waste of money? [message #91370 is a reply to message #91367] Wed, 22 January 2020 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I listen pretty exclusively to vinyl records. The common consensus you read about on forums and advertising is that LOMC, (low output moving coil) cartridges are the pinnacle of achievement for the highest sound quality with vinyl record playback. I'm no different than most blokes and wanted to find out about all this nirvana awaiting with one of these critters. Keep in mind that some of these things can go for multiple thousands of dollars. Which is what the high end audio is know for. Not being a man of such means, my entry would have to be one of the lower end models. What I ended up with was a cartridge historically known for being a good return on investment. The Audio Technica OC9 II. When the model came on sale after a newer model of the same was introduced, I jumped on a sale that made it no more expensive than some higher end MM, (moving magnet) types of cartridges. The most commonly used type of phono cart. With a LOMC cartridge, the output from it is so low that it must be boosted by whats know as a SUT or step up transformer. Or a phono preamp that can boost the signal up to a usable level. So, your investment is dependent on acquiring at least one of the two before the use of the cartridge is made. My set required the SUT. I built one from plans on the internet. Longish story short, I can say that the cartridge sounds good. But, no better really than my good MM cartridges, and not as good as a couple of my vintage MM cartridges that I acquired for less money. All I can say is that this foray into the threshold of high end phono cartridges didn't instill any faith that investing stupid money into one of these greater, finer little do-dad's would make me roll my eyes back in my head in audio ecstasy.
Re: Biggest waste of money? [message #91377 is a reply to message #91370] Sat, 25 January 2020 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Oh man, did you tell that story well, Rusty. I felt your pain and frustration. Does it ever make you wonder why some folks will swear that it's a great buy and fantastic, then you get it and realize it doesn't create the amazing experience you thought it would? I've felt that disconnect many times. I know it's subjective, but I still scratch my head when it happens to me.

Leo, I've heard that about the panels, but I swear by them. It's an easy fix.
Re: Biggest waste of money? [message #91378 is a reply to message #91377] Sat, 25 January 2020 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Sat, 25 January 2020 13:05
Madison
Oh man, did you tell that story well, Rusty. I felt your pain and frustration. Does it ever make you wonder why some folks will swear that it's a great buy and fantastic, then you get it and realize it doesn't create the amazing experience you thought it would?
Yeah, it was just a continuation of my audio education by means of trying something out. It's not a loss by any means. Just a reminder that what most of the noise you pick up on in advertising, reviews and forums is to be taken with a large grain of salt. It's a nice cartridge to be sure, and for the price paid a bargain really. Like mentioned, you can spend thousands on these things. And high end audio always equates your path to that end is perpetuated by that greater expense. Your equipment is just not up to snuff to realize those subtle nuances without the upgrade.
Re: Biggest waste of money? [message #91379 is a reply to message #91365] Sat, 25 January 2020 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taurus is currently offline  Taurus
Chancellor
I'm sorry to hear about your not-so-fun adventure, but it's a good lesson nevertheless. Thank you for sharing! I suppose that's one of the challenges in this hobby. Many times it needs heavy investment, but nothing guarantees the results.
Re: Biggest waste of money? [message #91963 is a reply to message #91365] Tue, 26 May 2020 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Some people will tell you something is great, and it turns it's anything but. Those people are either hard of hearing or don't want to admit they made a bad buy.
Re: Biggest waste of money? [message #92479 is a reply to message #91365] Thu, 22 October 2020 20:23 Go to previous message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Most audiophiles will improve upon something just to brag that they did. The change may be minuscule to most people, but to a true audiophile it means the world.
Previous Topic: Quick and Dirty acoustic treatment
Next Topic: Building a sound proof room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:15:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout