Home » xyzzy » Tower » In The Bedroom
In The Bedroom [message #91202] Mon, 18 November 2019 20:52 Go to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
I was hearing today about the lack of sleep many people are getting and how it correlates with the rise of cell phones in the bedroom. Televisions as well.

Do you turn your phone off and into "Do not disturb" mode when you go to bed?
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91212 is a reply to message #91202] Tue, 19 November 2019 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes indeed. There is nothing that can happen at night that I would be likely to do anything about...yes someone dying* might be an issue, but they would probably be gone before I could get there. So finding out in the AM would make it easier to deal with after a good night's sleep. Any other situation that might arise at night is likely to be something that can wait.

*My personal thought is that you should maximize quality time with folks before they die and not hold out for the last minute. Just my 2 cents.

Most likely this should go in one of the "tower" section at the end of the forum as it really doesn't have much to do with music/sound in general.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91359 is a reply to message #91212] Mon, 20 January 2020 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Boy for a hot minute, I thought this subject was about something good and naughty. But that would put it in the dungeon I suppose, though I wouldn't know why. As long as it's healthy and happy. Anyway, in my other life, prior to transitioning into retirement a year prior to my plans due to work closure. I was sleep deprived and generally unhealthy because of the job having to take call and be backup for the person on call when a c.t. exam was ordered. Looking back on that now I can rest assure now having my workplace go under was the best thing to happen to me. Now I sleep, eat and exercise all for my own benefit. Healthcare is not an environment for a healthy lifestyle.
A little side story to that end. One of the maintenance workers got in trouble once for putting up a little sign in the elevator underneath the weight limit plaque, (so many thousand pounds). It read, "Or three nurses". Boy he caught hell for that, but it spoke so true. And funny as hell.
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91360 is a reply to message #91359] Mon, 20 January 2020 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

https://audioroundtable.com/images/Laughing_Felix.gif
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91590 is a reply to message #91359] Thu, 19 March 2020 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I leave my phone on. I have elderly family that I care for and some neighbors that might need help too. Sometimes they do call, so I'm glad I have it with me. I've had people I could depend on too in the middle of the night when I needed it, so it's my turn to pay it forward. I sleep better having my phone with me because I know I can react to emergencies.

I'm surprised you all don't have your phones on and accessible near your bedside, if not in your bed beside you. What if you need to call 911 because someone's breaking in or you start having chest pains?

Re: In The Bedroom [message #91600 is a reply to message #91590] Sat, 21 March 2020 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Laughing Laughing Anyhow my solution ...continued is that unlike many folks, we still keep a land line. The few folks that know that are ones I care to tell. There is a phone on the night stand. I also have serious call blocking so that unwanted calls seldom ring. Even in the daytime only about 1 every other week. None at night in over two years. If it goes off at night then someone probably does have a serious problem. Still it is unlikely that I could do much about at the time. As you might suspect, my cell phone is not my master, I am its master and it is to serve me and not me serve it as it seems happens with many individuals now. It is fully capable, but most gets use as a phone, next texts and then photos. No banking, no email, no facebook, twitter, no GPS (the vehicle has that) and only a few apps I find useful. BTW, we don't allow phone use at the dinner table.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91603 is a reply to message #91600] Sun, 22 March 2020 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you on the land line. My main phone is a land line. I rarely answer it though. Long gone are the days when you could expect the call to be important or even reasonable. Now days, most calls are spam. So I let the answering system take the call and act like a call screener.

I used to maintain an analog tip-and-ring land line, shunning newer VoIP product offerings. I preferred to use the old-school network, and did until 2012 when I left Tulsa and moved to Bella Vista. But now even AT&T has largely abandoned analog technologies, preferring instead to put new customers on uVerse, which is a VoIP solution. So sadly, that's what I'm running now.

To digress a moment with a mini-soapbox: The old analog telephone network in the USA was the most robust network on the planet. No matter what kinds of electrical storms raged, no matter what kinds of solar emissions from flares and sunspots, you had voltage across tip and ring and could complete a call. The primary and secondary surge protection on the lines, the use of relatively old switching technologies and the use of batteries as power backups made that network incredibly resilient. In an emergency, you might lose power but you didn't lose your telephone.

Now days, the phone system is completely unreliable. It goes out even when there are no weather conditions or power problems.

We've gone backwards in a big way.
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91604 is a reply to message #91603] Sun, 22 March 2020 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I use a voip line too. Ooma. For a little under 4 bucks a month. It's been surprisingly reliable, as has the network, Google. I think their little foray into high speed connectivity has gone dormant in expanding. Cell phone, I just buy minutes. I rarely use it. I am always ruefully conscious of so many, and especially the young being so immersed with it. Like it was part of their nervous system. They can have it.
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91605 is a reply to message #91604] Sun, 22 March 2020 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ooma was very early in the VoIP market. As VoIP goes, I think they're a pretty good provider.

I have a lot of experience in the telecom field, having done work for pretty much all the big players and many of the smaller ones too. So I can remember Ooma when they were a startup. I made specialized feeds for them in the early 2000s.

AT&T's uVerse is good too, for that matter.

It's just that VoIP technology is somewhat ill-fitted (real-time analog-to-IP), and its endpoints aren't robust. Those are its vulnerabilities.

The IP network itself is very robust, but it wasn't designed for real-time feeds. That's why VoIP sometimes suffers dropouts and weird digital artifacts. Some packets are dropped or come too late to be used.

And since most of the switching/signalling features that used to be performed by the central office are now interpreted by the client side - in your residence - local power must be working for your home as well as at the point of presence for your internet service provider. In other words, there are lots of points of failure that aren't what anyone would consider critical, so they aren't given battery backup or any kind of fail-over redundancy systems.
Re: In The Bedroom [message #91607 is a reply to message #91605] Mon, 23 March 2020 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I have a landline too and it almost never goes out. It's just standard AT&T, so maybe that's why. It's not nearly as inexpensive as the VoIP services and I've thought about switching. My late grandmother was awfully addicted to her smartphone. She hated the things until she discovered an app that let her play Mahjong competitively. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It gave her something to do and I'm glad she found some joy in her otherwise mundane life, but getting her to put the phone down was rough. So beware fellas, you're just one good game away from becoming addicted.

Gofar99, if my phone goes off in the middle of the night, I go fix whatever is wrong. Most often it has to do with the oxygen machine or someone had a fall. I live pretty close though.
Previous Topic: A good new year
Next Topic: Do You Budget For This?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:33:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout