Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Top-Tier Sound Engineering Schools
Top-Tier Sound Engineering Schools [message #91179] Sun, 17 November 2019 13:05 Go to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Colleges like Harvard and Yale have a prestige and reputation behind them that makes them "better" than other colleges.

Are there sound engineering schools like this? That have a prestige about them going back a long time?
Re: Top-Tier Sound Engineering Schools [message #91180 is a reply to message #91179] Sun, 17 November 2019 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Massachusetts Institute of Technology has a fantastic reputation as does Stanford, UC Berkeley and Georgia Institute of Technology. There are many others too. But I know lots of really smart techies from other schools too. State schools obviously aren't ivy league, but I know some guys with degrees from state schools that are absolutely genius.
Re: Top-Tier Sound Engineering Schools [message #91543 is a reply to message #91180] Mon, 09 March 2020 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
How difficult would you say it is to enter that field and what is the most common job? I've always pictured something exotic like a music producer, but I'm sure there's more to it.
Re: Top-Tier Sound Engineering Schools [message #91546 is a reply to message #91543] Tue, 10 March 2020 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would think that doing course work in a prestigious school and in sound engineering would require someone with a musical instrument background at least. Skills in mathematics, science, architecture and more probably to become a music producer, music hall and studio designer. Maybe even a loudspeaker designer like our moderator.
Re: Top-Tier Sound Engineering Schools [message #91597 is a reply to message #91543] Fri, 20 March 2020 23:32 Go to previous message
Joyce is currently offline  Joyce
Chancellor
Leot55 wrote on Mon, 09 March 2020 13:25
How difficult would you say it is to enter that field and what is the most common job? I've always pictured something exotic like a music producer, but I'm sure there's more to it.
That reminds me of the sound effect engineers I once saw in a movie. It's a whole different world to me; I didn't know there was that side of music/sound production. What really stands out is their unusual approach in creating sounds, which are frustrating for them but fascinating for us. I'm not sure if those schools teach this kind of skill, but it will be cool if they do.
Previous Topic: The future of audio engineering
Next Topic: Is the difference in sound quality all in our head?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:57:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio