Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Low Pass
Re: Low Pass [message #91410 is a reply to message #91407] Mon, 03 February 2020 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Hi Rusty,

Don't blame you for not doing work in the winter cold. Both the winter cold and summer heat are great ways to kill motivation.

Yes, the Amp Camp Amp is an 8 watt class A amp and it's being used as the main amplifier for the system. The REL sub has a built in plate amp that connects to the outputs of the main amp rather than using the outputs from the preamp. The REL is in the rear of the room.

The front subs are driven by the preamp (preamp --> Driverack --> volume control --> class d amp). It's set to a 12db slope but the frequency gets varied a bit ... still trying to figure out which frequency works best. The 4's are not pulled out from the walls on stands as Wayne suggests, they are on the floor next to the wall so they don't quite need the standard flanking sub settings. Again, still playing with the settings as it's only been about a week.

Eventually the 4's will go on milk crates and get pulled from the wall when somebody is around to help me lift them. Then we go full flanking sub. Smile

It's easy to live with the system as it is right now so there's no real rush.
Re: Low Pass [message #91411 is a reply to message #91410] Tue, 04 February 2020 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That clarify's my cornfusion, thanks. My single biggest factor for implementing subs, (for years), and not withstanding weather extreme's for box building. Is just the issues with space. These boxes take up some living space. And my old theater 4 Pi's have seemed to have reasonable bass extension, but they are big. I'll find a way somehow. It's a part of my audio bucket list. I got time now, being retired. Hope to hear of your final choice of integration of your multi subs. What you've said of it so far about it has whetted my appetite.
Re: Low Pass [message #91438 is a reply to message #91411] Sat, 15 February 2020 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Changed the setup again.

Pulled the 4 pi's away from the wall and changed the sub crossover from 60 hz to 100 hz. This is Wayne's standard 3 and 4 pi flanking sub setup except my 4's are still on the floor.

Everything is more better. Better bass, textures, imaging, clarity. All more better. For example, upright bass and piano have more body and sound more natural.

It's so good it makes me want to climb to the top of a mountain and scream Yiddish curse words as loudly as possible.

Wish I spoke Yiddish.

Rusty,

I've wanted to hear the Theater 4's. The one's in my room are what used to be called the Pro 4's and they likely don't go anywhere as low as the theaters.

Space is an issue here, too, and there's no telling what the front subs will eventually be. Right now they are an old pair of speakers that go down to 30 hz ... which is fine for the music I play. Even with "compromised" front subs the overall presentation is excellent.

The 3 pi subs Wayne brings to the Dallas show are excellent sounding if you have the room for them. If the Theater 4's go low enough and you just want subs for room correction then you might do OK with something smaller, like say an old pair of good speakers that were just sitting around unused. All those extra woofers doing their flanking/multisub thing make a dramatic difference.

Re: Low Pass [message #91440 is a reply to message #91438] Sat, 15 February 2020 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So Barry, your using some old two way speakers as flanking subs? What you're describing sonically makes me ache for springtime to get going on box building. I bought two PE 10" sub drivers when they came on sale. Suppose to be pretty good I've read, and hopefully can do the augmentation to my mains as laid out by Wayne's flanking sub guideline. I'd have liked to do the Pi sub route. But that space issue again. Also, the long standing use of a 15" JBL driver as the remote sub has been my ultimate quest. Sitting boxed for years now. I take you have it nearly nailed down in your long odyssey. I'm getting anxious to start mine.
Re: Low Pass [message #91634 is a reply to message #91440] Thu, 26 March 2020 16:05 Go to previous message
Master
Hi Rusty,

Yes, the "subs" are two way monitors that go low. A set of purpose built subs would do likely do better, as they'd have more surface area, but the speakers sound good and don't take up a lot of room.

Been listening to a lot of music for the past few weeks. Been playing with the 4 pi setup, too, but some of the changes have been reversed after a bit. They weren't really better, just different.

However, the front flanking sub crossover got pushed up from 100 to 120 hz a few nights ago. So far it seems an actual improvement rather than just a change. It does nice things to piano and male vocals.

It's no fun being stuck in the house but at least there are good tunes.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi Speaker Plans
Next Topic: Corner horns & flanking subs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:40:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio