Home » Audio » Source » Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl
Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl [message #90970] Sun, 29 September 2019 10:54 Go to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
As a fan of vinyl records, I have an idea. Start a marketing campaign where record companies put a 100 dollar bill in random new releases.

Do you think that will attract more sales?
Re: Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl [message #90971 is a reply to message #90970] Sun, 29 September 2019 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Maybe the threshold ought to be higher. Depending on what the content is to be marketed, even a c-note wouldn't compel me to want to play some music lottery. I don't think though any monetary note would be used. They'd probably give a credit towards other purchases. Or some streaming service credit.
Re: Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl [message #91008 is a reply to message #90970] Wed, 02 October 2019 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Your idea could encourage people to buy, but you know what I see happening in that scenario? Folks buying records and then returning them once they realize it doesn't have the $100 inside. I think it would also encourage theft from employees at the store and from customers too. I know stores have promotions all the time where you have a chance to win something, but a hundred dollar bill makes it more attractive to the con.
Re: Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl [message #91011 is a reply to message #91008] Wed, 02 October 2019 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Strum Drum, I think those issues are fairly easy to overcome. Sell the records as non-returnable merchandise or add a restocking fee and then sell them as used or open-boxed. Shrinkage has always been a problem, but most stores have cameras around which helps. Instead of giving away a $100 bill, I'd pick something that would benefit my store or a certain label, or whatever it is you're promoting. You could set up gift codes that they could plugin online to determine how much of a percentage off to give them next time or how much of a gift card they'll receive. Whatever the promo decision, it should help you move more merchandise. Putting the code online will also help you track fraudsters and gather customer information for newsletters. You could even have a rule that only in-store vinyl purchases are eligible for the prize and the winner must have a receipt showing they purchased that record. If you want to be really particular, you could even check the camera footage to see if they were in your store and bought that record.
Re: Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl [message #91038 is a reply to message #90970] Mon, 07 October 2019 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
Putting cash into a record sounds like a very 70's thing to do. Before all the technology based options we have now.

But it sounds like the whole idea behind this is to get more people interested in vinyl again, and not so much a particular label or store.
Re: Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl [message #91860 is a reply to message #90970] Wed, 13 May 2020 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
All it takes is 5 or 6 new sales for it to pay off. It wouldn't hurt I suppose. In the meantime, if I were a store owner, I would keep thinking of even more marketing approaches. Businesses are struggling these days, so anything to get an upper hand is worth trying at least once.
Re: Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl [message #91862 is a reply to message #90970] Thu, 14 May 2020 09:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I love the idea. It's like a golden ticket!

But I buy plenty of vinyl already. So they don't need any marketing tricks to get me to bite. I'm just so glad record companies are producing so many vinyl albums again. The estate sales and used record shops are always so hit and miss on quality and selection.
Previous Topic: Display or no?
Next Topic: Garrott Brothers Cartridge
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:30:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout