Home » Audio » Source » Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base
Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12721] Tue, 10 January 2006 13:39 Go to next message
Rod Cooper is currently offline  Rod Cooper
Esquire
Does any body have an idea what might cause this? Could it be that the needle is just worn out. I bought the turntable used but it plays nicely but just does not have much base sound to it. Please help me.

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12722 is a reply to message #12721] Wed, 11 January 2006 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Maybe you need a phono stage, or maybe the preamp is just set for the wrong type of input. Confirm that the input settings of your preamp match the cartridge you're using.

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12723 is a reply to message #12722] Wed, 11 January 2006 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Not sure what you mean as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this. The only thing I know is where to replace the needle and where the cables that come out of the turntable plug into the amplifier. What do I use to check this out. My turntable is a Pioneer PL-660 direct drive fully automatic turntable. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod Cooper

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12724 is a reply to message #12723] Wed, 11 January 2006 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Set the tracking force higher.

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12725 is a reply to message #12724] Wed, 11 January 2006 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Will this damage the records? I have ordered a new needle for it. I am hopeing this will make a difference as well. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12726 is a reply to message #12725] Wed, 11 January 2006 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If the needle is worn than it will possibly do some damage. However; in and of itself high tracking force does not damage the groove; low tracking force does that.

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12727 is a reply to message #12726] Wed, 11 January 2006 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for your valuable information. The needle that was in my turntable is at least 12-15 years old while it was packed away in a box. I will adjust the tracking force with the new needle when it comes.

Thanks again

Rod

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12728 is a reply to message #12727] Wed, 11 January 2006 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
My pleasure; good luck.

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12744 is a reply to message #12721] Wed, 01 February 2006 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john doe is currently offline  john doe
Esquire
it needs a phono pre amp stage RIAA curve is doing it...record has boosted highs and cut lows(bout 1khz is the middle point.) phono input swaps that back boosts lows and cuts highs.pluging into line level will sound terrible
peace.

Re: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base [message #12745 is a reply to message #12744] Wed, 01 February 2006 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
Can you recommend where I can buy on and can I put it in on my own? What is a good one to buy? What should I look for for my turntable?

I am a novice at this so your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

Previous Topic: Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly?
Next Topic: Some help?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:22:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout