Home » Audio » Source » USB compatible turntable
USB compatible turntable [message #90857] Sat, 14 September 2019 08:30 Go to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
As more and more phones are being made without a headphone jack, the options are narrowing for improving sound quality. As much as I love getting cheap new music on iTunes (or whatever they call it these days), I'd like to hear some old favorites too, and I want them to sound as good as they do on my vinyl records. Getting a USB compatible turntable seems like the best way to make that happen. Right now I've narrowed it down to three models:

(1) Innovation Technologies Victrola Nostalgic Aviator 8-in-1 Turntable because it seems very easy to use and it has everything I would need too get started. It's also on the cheaper end, but that's not necessarily a plus since the price could mean it's made with poor materials.

(2) Teac TN-300SE well-priced and I think I can manage it putting it together, but it might be a hassle. I'll also have to figure out how to use Audacity.

(3) Audio-Technica AT-LP5 slightly pricey, though I don't mind it, but it looks tough to set up.

Which one would you pick? Do you know of a better USB compatible turntable? My main goal is to get that same warm, rich sound like you'd hear on vinyl. Will this type of turntable do that or am I expecting too much?
Re: USB compatible turntable [message #90861 is a reply to message #90857] Sat, 14 September 2019 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've used my own turntable to do some vinyl ripping. Bought a reasonably priced phono preamp with usb to go to the laptop. I downloaded Audacity for free. It takes awhile to catch on to using it. There's plenty of online info and forums dedicated to this. One thing I'd stay away from on your list is the first item. Looks like a waste of good money to me.
Re: USB compatible turntable [message #90864 is a reply to message #90861] Sun, 15 September 2019 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Check the possible output before selecting one. I bought one that only created MP3s which defeated the whole purpose. I could just buy the digital song directly for the exact same sound. I packed it up and took it back. Felt foolish for not checking beforehand.
Re: USB compatible turntable [message #90868 is a reply to message #90864] Sun, 15 September 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I don't know much about the three models you listed. Just wanted to warn you about a different model. I bought a Crosley Nomad and was very disappointed. It skips a lot and the records don't fit well so it's wobbly.

If Audacity looks too tough to learn, you can buy software from Pure Vinyl or Vinyl Studio. Both of these offer more hand-holding.
Re: USB compatible turntable [message #90923 is a reply to message #90868] Wed, 25 September 2019 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, All of them will work, none are really of high quality. The least expensive one I know of that will deliver quality sound is one by Pro-ject. Their USB model is pretty good. It all sort of depends on what you are playing. If the LPs are in great condition then the P-J is the choice. If they are not...then pretty much any one will do. None will by themselves clean up a bad recording. Audocity can do a pretty good job, but it will not make them perfect.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: USB compatible turntable [message #91151 is a reply to message #90857] Wed, 13 November 2019 10:59 Go to previous message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
As a purist, I don't like this idea. I can see the use for it, but it's not for me. I don't want to hear the type of sound a turntable puts out.....on my laptop.
Previous Topic: R2R ladder dac's
Next Topic: Vinyl Will Outsell CD's Soon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:33:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout