Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions
Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90824] Wed, 04 September 2019 13:29 Go to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
You know how they do movie trivia in some theaters before the show starts? Well, that's how I learned that Stephen King thought the best adaptations of his books to date were Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption. I was quite surprised by that revelation as I figured Stanley Kubrick's The Shining would be a sure favorite of his, but it turns out that King wasn't fan of the movie at all. I thought he'd prefer the grittier stuff. Boy was I wrong!

Which movies do you like best that are based on King's work?
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90833 is a reply to message #90824] Thu, 05 September 2019 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Horror films almost always seem really stupid to me, so most Steven King movies don't appeal to me at all. But Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption are a couple great movies that I really liked.
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90835 is a reply to message #90833] Thu, 05 September 2019 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I figured Stephen King loved Stand By Me because he still sings its praise today and it was made in the 1980s. I think he said it was first one to get it right or something to that effect. I haven't read all of his books, but the one I liked most was The Green Mile and the movie adaptation was excellent too. It's a haunting tale that has stuck with me.
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90836 is a reply to message #90835] Thu, 05 September 2019 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not many of Kings horror books have translated well into film for me. Those two outside that realm were top notch for me. Especially Shawshank. The Green mile was a fine supernatural film also for me. For his horror genre, I like a short story he did called, The Mist. That was a tense, paranoiac study of people taking sides and becoming barbarous with one another in the face of incomprehensible weird creatures taking over the landscape. With good special effects. The irony of the ending was compelling.
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90837 is a reply to message #90836] Thu, 05 September 2019 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, yeah, I dug The Green Mile too. That was a cool story!
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90855 is a reply to message #90837] Fri, 13 September 2019 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
IT Chapter Two turned out pretty awful and it was too darn long. I was surprised by King's cameo. The books were better. I'm sure other folks loved the movie though.

Didn't King direct his own movie once? It doesn't get mentioned very often. I never saw it (too young at the time) but I don't think it was popular.
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90858 is a reply to message #90855] Sat, 14 September 2019 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Strum Drum wrote on Fri, 13 September 2019 21:01

Didn't King direct his own movie once? It doesn't get mentioned very often. I never saw it (too young at the time) but I don't think it was popular.
Yep, it was called Maximum Overdrive and it was terrible. King was also in the movie and his acting was on par with his directing skills. King blamed it all on his cocaine usage at the time. It felt like a cop-out. He seems to have a hard time with criticism and has a bit of a cocky ego.
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90865 is a reply to message #90836] Sun, 15 September 2019 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Rusty wrote on Thu, 05 September 2019 15:35
I like a short story he did called, The Mist. That was a tense, paranoiac study of people taking sides and becoming barbarous with one another in the face of incomprehensible weird creatures taking over the landscape. With good special effects. The irony of the ending was compelling.
I haven't read Stephen King's book, but the movie was good. I especially loved the black and white director's cut that came out in 2017.
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90872 is a reply to message #90865] Mon, 16 September 2019 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, I was actually referring to the movie adaptation of the short story. The movie was pretty faithful to the story, which made it compelling. I'd love to see that directors cut you make mention.
Re: Best Stephen King book to movie adaptions [message #90908 is a reply to message #90824] Sat, 21 September 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Patrick69 is currently offline  Patrick69
Baron
I loved many of his books but not many of the movies. I thought Shawshank was great, I actually watch it everytime it comes on TV. I did just watch the new It movie - wasn't impressed.
Previous Topic: Star Trek: Picard
Next Topic: TV shows that you miss
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:13:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout