Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers
Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90811] Tue, 03 September 2019 09:07 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
It might come down to the mic. Which headset mics works well for loud mouth-breathers and quiet whisperers? We're having a church play and the volunteers usually manage to figure things out, but this one has us stumped. We've tried making adjustments to the audio equipment to mitigate the issues, but none of us are producers or anything like that so we're mostly going by experience and Google. Any adjustment just seems to fix one of the problems while amplifying the other.
Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90819 is a reply to message #90811] Tue, 03 September 2019 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Instead of adjusting the equipment, why not adjust the performers? They need to learn how to breathe efficiently while performing and they should learn to project their voice and use a microphone appropriately. It's a technique issue, not a technical problem.

I teach guitar and drum lessons to kids in the after-school program, so I get it. Some kids catch on slower than others. I think you've mentioned teaching music lessons too (maybe?) so I'm sure you already knew that. Are you getting pressured to create something spectacular with little Braxxton and Tinslee as the leads? Parents won't hear that their kiddos need to work on their technique?

Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90825 is a reply to message #90819] Wed, 04 September 2019 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Switch from a headset mic to a handheld mic and teach the mouth-breather to speak off axis so the heavy breathing won't be as noticeable. That will also keep some of the moisture off the mic. Could you be hearing plosive sounds rather than breathing? This can be fixed with a pop filter and you can attach it to the mic stand. As for your whisperer, well, maybe after practicing a few times the child will feel more confident and will speak up.
Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90850 is a reply to message #90825] Sun, 08 September 2019 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I don't know why the church uses headsets instead of the handheld models, but I think that's all they have. It made me cringe because all I could think about was kids and lice. I'm sure you guys appreciate the visual that's probably popped into your head.

Strum Drum, you're hilarious. I'm working with the whisperer to speak up louder, but the mouth-breather can't be helped as he has a medical condition of some sort that requires him to breathe through his mouth. Like a dragon - or at least that's how it sounds. I'll try the pop filter assuming they make one for headsets. I was hoping there was some sort of software we might try, but I haven't run across anything that won't make the other issue worse. These kids are seven and eight and it's just a little church play. I was just trying to make the audio sound better, but it's not a huge deal.
Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90852 is a reply to message #90850] Mon, 09 September 2019 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just wanted to share this Madison. As no matter how many trials and tribulations you may have to deal with, it pales in comparison to what it would be to endure this gentleman's singing voice is to the parishioners that attend that church.
Worst church singer....ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5148rRIkw
I've heard cats preparing for a fight I'd rather listen to in comparison.
Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90867 is a reply to message #90852] Sun, 15 September 2019 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Oh my! Bless his little heart! I love how he chastised the piano player when she started. I guess he wasn't finished talking to the audience and she was trying to speed him along. Speaking of the audience, I wish the person filming could have caught their expressions. Kudos to the audience for holding the laughter in. Not sure I could've done it. When he jumped up off his stool at 2:31, dude thought he was killing it.

Thanks for sharing, Rusty! That's good entertainment. I'm not sure who I feel worse for, the singer, or the audience.
Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90871 is a reply to message #90867] Mon, 16 September 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Glad you were entertained Madison. Personally, that singing could clear a room out quicker than a fire alarm. I think the little feller is totally oblivious to his painful pipes.
Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #90910 is a reply to message #90871] Mon, 23 September 2019 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
At first, I thought this was a joke, kind of like those hidden camera shows to see how the audience would react. But apparently it's real. Someone should've told that poor guy that he can't sing. I can't imagine letting a relative or friend do something like that without cautioning them.

Have you gotten things straightened out with your musical moppets, Madison?
Re: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers [message #91143 is a reply to message #90871] Tue, 12 November 2019 12:13 Go to previous message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Rusty wrote on Mon, 16 September 2019 09:21
Glad you were entertained Madison. Personally, that singing could clear a room out quicker than a fire alarm. I think the little feller is totally oblivious to his painful pipes.
Tone deaf. They don't hear sounds like the rest of us, it seems.

The thing is, when someone tries so hard to sing, it's hard for people to be honest. It turns out to be mean at that point.
Previous Topic: Harman's How to Listen
Next Topic: Do you need any special skills to equalize sound?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:23:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio