Home » Audio » Source » Garrard 401
Garrard 401 [message #12703] Sat, 07 January 2006 02:01 Go to next message
nick is currently offline  nick
Esquire
Hi there,
A friend if mine recently moved house and knowing my love for vinyl asked me if I wanted his grandads old record player, so as my own`s just broken down said yup. So I`m now the owner of a free Garrard 401 with A SME 3009, i must admit I did`nt kmow anything about them until searching on the web yesterday. So I have a few questions.. ...
As this one`s only been used a couple of times in the seventies it does`nt have a plug on it, is it run of a seperate amp? if so what`s the best compatible amp to find? it just has a lead with two flat pins.Secondly I think it`s going to need oiling whats the best to use and how would I go about doing it.
Thank`s

Re: Garrard 401 [message #12704 is a reply to message #12703] Sat, 07 January 2006 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A lead with 2 flat pins sounds like the AC chord?
If so, then you need to look under the table to the base of the SME arm and find either RCA or DIN inputs for the cable that connects to the phono pre-amp.
On the top base of the arm there should be a plate that has the SME model number. Refer to the SME website. Also the Vinyl Engine and The Analog Dep't. SME has PDF files to cover the manual for your arm as well as many repair questions. Flat Earth Audio has parts in the U.S.
Congratulations! Your friend gave you about $1000 in equipment.

Re: Garrard 401 [message #12706 is a reply to message #12703] Sat, 07 January 2006 11:54 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I would use Mobil 1 motor oil on the bearing unless you want to buy Linn's silicon based lubricant. Thats a little pricey though. You probably need to adjust the idler wheel rim-drive also. The two pins leading from the AC cord might indicate they used a seperate speed control. Have you tried the table to see if it is speed correct yet?

Previous Topic: Static Balanced auto flywheel as platter for DIY TT
Next Topic: annoying problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 12:24:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout