Home » Audio » Speaker » Body Resonance
Body Resonance [message #90499] Mon, 24 June 2019 09:48 Go to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
I watched a video wherein they taught people how to break a wine glass with their voice through resonance. Is there a possibility that our body parts will get damaged if the correct resonance is applied?
Re: Body Resonance [message #90510 is a reply to message #90499] Tue, 25 June 2019 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are applications where acoustic resonance is used to affect the human body. As an example, lithotripsy is a procedure that uses sound to break up kidney stones.
Re: Body Resonance [message #90514 is a reply to message #90499] Tue, 25 June 2019 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
That is amazing to know. Are the organs not affected in a negative way when lithotripsy is used? I hope someday that someone will invent something that will break down tumors with acoustic resonance, so we don't need surgery, chemo, or radiation to remove the tumors.
Re: Body Resonance [message #90518 is a reply to message #90514] Tue, 25 June 2019 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The density of the stone is so different than the soft tissue that the sound that resonates the stone will not resonate the soft tissue.
Re: Body Resonance [message #90540 is a reply to message #90499] Wed, 26 June 2019 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'm learning new things every day. I'm glad that we can use sound to break up kidney stones.

With Wayne's answer, can I conclude that acoustic resonance won't affect our organs because they are made of tissue? How about the bones?
Re: Body Resonance [message #90544 is a reply to message #90540] Thu, 27 June 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The acoustic pulses are directional and are focused on the area of the kidneys. So bones do not receive much energy.

Also, I don't know if the density of the bones is similar to kidney stones or not. While I think common sense says bones are more similar to stones than to soft tissue, I'm not sure that is actually the case because of the marrow and total structure. I just don't know.

I do know this though: While lithotripsy makes acoustic pulses that are optimized to create stress fractures in the stones, the soft tissue isn't totally unaffected. Even if an object doesn't resonate from acoustic energy, it will still vibrate from that energy. Resonance is a condition that magnifies the energy's effects, so things that become resonant are much more affected than things that aren't.

An example is the famous Tacoma Narrows bridge in Washington State. It collapsed on November 7, 1940 from a form of resonance called aeroelastic flutter. The excitation energy was a 40-MPH wind acting upon its surface. This 40-MPH wind obviously affected other structures too, but the Tacoma bridge was most affected because its support structures allowed it to develop a resonant condition.

So objects that aren't resonant by a particular energy because of their size or shape may still be affected by the energy. It's just that resonance is a condition that tends to magnify the effects of the energy.
Re: Body Resonance [message #90574 is a reply to message #90499] Sun, 30 June 2019 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for that explanation. The acoustic resonance that our organs or bones received might not be strong enough or consistent enough for them to get damaged. Still, there might be side effects with the vibrations that they received.
Re: Body Resonance [message #90577 is a reply to message #90574] Sun, 30 June 2019 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Since bone is living tissue actually, I'd say that the kidney stones are of a different density and composition of matter. Although I found out that kidney stones can be formed by varying types of substance from the food and drink we ingest. My older sister had to have one kidney removed that became inactive. The other fortunately is viable. But both had become full of stones. The stones were removed surgically. Best remedy for kidney stones. Drink lots of water.
Re: Body Resonance [message #90587 is a reply to message #90499] Mon, 01 July 2019 01:29 Go to previous message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I agree with you Rusty that the best cure is prevention. I hope your sister is getting better.

I believe that there will be a side effect of lithotripsy, which might not be serious. However, our body can be resilient if we maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Previous Topic: Speakers that look like art
Next Topic: Homepod
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:35:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout