Home » Audio » General » Your most disappointing buy?
Your most disappointing buy? [message #90476] Wed, 19 June 2019 07:19 Go to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
I'm usually fairly happy with the audio/visual gear I buy, but after trying two sets of bone conduction headphones, I realize that type just isn't for me. There was so much hype surrounding these headphones, but I couldn't get used to wearing them. Over the years, what's been some of the most disappointing gear you've run across?
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90478 is a reply to message #90476] Wed, 19 June 2019 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A DAC for my cd player. It was an attempt to maybe make the cd sound I was loosing interest in more compelling. It was a flop. Wanna buy a DAC?
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90521 is a reply to message #90478] Tue, 25 June 2019 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
The first GoPro I bought was a downer. I actually bought it for my kids and the short battery life meant they grew tired of it in no time. The latest GoPro Hero is much, much better. The video is more stable and the battery lasts much longer.

Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90552 is a reply to message #90478] Sat, 29 June 2019 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Rusty wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 09:04
A DAC for my cd player. It was an attempt to maybe make the cd sound I was loosing interest in more compelling. It was a flop. Wanna buy a DAC?
Ha, I'm going to have to pass. Throw it up on Craigslist and see who bites. Did it just not work as well as you thought it would or was the music itself just no longer interesting to you so the DAC served no purpose?
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90557 is a reply to message #90552] Sat, 29 June 2019 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was loosing interest in cd sound because it sounded rather, for lack of any better analogy, 2 dimensional. Bass in particular seemed to have no depth. I just liked my vinyl sound better. The dac was a sort of last ditch effort to see if this technology was all it was touted on audio forums. It didn't seem to change the character of the sound that I was hoping to improve. Maybe dac's have improved since I tried the one I have. I've heard some of the streaming digital which I think sounds much improved. I just haven't made any commitment to invest in the hardware to use it. My turntable is unchallenged.
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90564 is a reply to message #90557] Sat, 29 June 2019 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A rather different thing. A Transcriptor Saturn Turntable. Unfortunately the seller didn't pack it well enough and it was damaged in transit. We adjusted the price and that actually was a good deal. Still having to glue the plinth back together in one corner and obtain a new dust cover mad it less so. Still a reasonable cost. The real bummer is the tone arm. It has the Vestigal one and it is a genuine, gold plated PITA to set up. The end result is that I keep it around for eye candy only. It is performance wise 5th out of the 5 turntables I have.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2385&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2386&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90576 is a reply to message #90564] Sun, 30 June 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is that similar to the Transcriptor turntable used in the movie Clockwork Orange? I remember when I first saw that film, that turntable seemed to epitomize distinctly the "future" of analog reproduction. I'd thought it might of been crafted as a prop for the film only.
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90579 is a reply to message #90576] Sun, 30 June 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's damn cool looking, that's for sure!
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90581 is a reply to message #90576] Sun, 30 June 2019 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, That's the one.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Your most disappointing buy? [message #90627 is a reply to message #90581] Wed, 03 July 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Fancy! That turntable if gorgeous, gofar99. Since that one isn't a favorite, which two turntables top your list?

A disappointing audio/visual purchase I made a few years ago was a Smartphone Projector kit that I bought for my nephews. I didn't expect much, certainly not to watch a whole movie with it, it was just a fun thing for us to do together. They can work a smartphone, but they aren't good with tools or measuring so I thought a kit would work best. Well, they learned some basics that day because the kit I ordered came with complicated, poorly written instructions, and the finished project didn't work. In the end, we wound up making a few different projectors out of the odds and ends I had lying around. Of course, none of the projectors were amazing, but they did actually work and and the boys learned a few things.
Previous Topic: Acoustics In New Construction
Next Topic: Removing Background Noise
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:28:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout