Home » Audio » Movies & Music » At the movies July and August
At the movies July and August [message #90446] Sun, 16 June 2019 18:26 Go to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
There are lots of great movies that will premier in July and August, which ones do you expect to see? I'm going to see the latest Spiderman and I hope it's decent because I've found some movies in that franchise great and some boring. The last movie I saw was Dark Phoenix and I'm one of the few viewers who liked it, so maybe that bodes well for the Spiderman flick too.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90472 is a reply to message #90446] Tue, 18 June 2019 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Like a lot of traditional formats. Newspapers, radio, physical copy's of music and the movie theater, are somewhat languishing these days. Two long standing movie theaters around me have recently closed. So, even being able to go out for the cinematic experience seems to be in some jeopardy these days. Irrespective to what even you'd care to go see.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90487 is a reply to message #90472] Thu, 20 June 2019 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
I know it isn't the same experience, but at least studios don't hold the movie hostage anymore. Now you can quickly find them On Demand, Netflix, and other channels shortly after the movie theater premiere. I hate to hear about businesses closing though, especially since it hurts livelihoods and the local economy.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90502 is a reply to message #90487] Mon, 24 June 2019 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
My kids and I are excited to see The Lion King. Some of Disney's other remakes were lame, especially Dumbo, so I hope this one is better. I think it will be good, especially with Beyonce and Donald Glover in the mix.

@Rusty, small theaters are struggling around here, but the big chains are still doing well. It's awful to see a business close. I hope you have other theater options because sometimes you just have to experience the movie on the big screen to get the full effect.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90504 is a reply to message #90502] Mon, 24 June 2019 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I agree Madison. Unless your Jeff Bezos and have a house as big as a multiplex theater. The in theater experience is something that even the best home theater can't match, (size wise). Sure I can drive further to get the theater fix. But those nearby ones are much missed now. Whadda ya bet. Years from now. After brick and mortar theaters become almost extinct. They'll make a comeback, like vinyl did. The streaming experience will become stale like week old bread.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90790 is a reply to message #90504] Thu, 15 August 2019 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Has anyone seen The Kitchen? If so, did you enjoy it? I've googled and the reviews are so mixed. There aren't many movies coming out this month that I'm waiting on edge to see. September is another story though. I'm impatiently waiting for the second installment of It.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90792 is a reply to message #90790] Thu, 15 August 2019 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I'm hoping you guys can help me out with remembering the title of a movie that's either already come out this month or it will soon. I've only seen the commercial once and I missed the name. The movie appears to be somewhat similar to The Hunger Games in that they're trying to off one another in order to survive. I think an inheritance might be involved, but I'm not sure. I tried googling that and it leads to many different movies that aren't the one I'm talking about. In the movie, the woman is not related to the family. I believe she's a wife or girlfriend. The family is wealthy. It looked like an interesting movie and I'd like to see it, if only I knew the name.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90797 is a reply to message #90792] Mon, 19 August 2019 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I think you might be talking about Ready or Not. Maybe? Since you only saw the commercial once I'm guessing you might have misunderstood some parts to the story. The bride's in-laws are filthy rich, but the plot doesn't revolve around an inheritance. I don't want to spoil it for you by adding too much. I believe it comes out on August 21st.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90799 is a reply to message #90797] Sun, 25 August 2019 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Thanks to your tip, Madison, I was able to see the show Saturday night. You were dead-on about the movie title and plot. Nicky Guadagni and John Ralston made incredible villains! It's one of the best movies I've seen this year and it had surprisingly funny moments that I just didn't expect to see.
Re: At the movies July and August [message #90809 is a reply to message #90799] Tue, 27 August 2019 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
People here seem to like sci-fi movies. Recently I viewed a couple from my Roku free subscription if you have a library card using the app. Kanopy. First up, an interesting off world setting involving father daughter prospectors. Called, Prospect. And not unlike movies of old, the prospecting business is fraught with ne'er do wells taking advantage of one another. On a planet lush with vegetation and atmosphere poisonous they land on in their beat up lander from an orbiting station. They're after a gem, found within an organic umbilicaled pod. Fate and greed get's the father killed and the daughter eventually having to team up with one of the killers. It's an interesting take on an old formula. The dialog in all the negotiations that take place is particularly spoken with a formal sounding language, not unlike some old westerns. I really enjoyed it. Critic's did as well.

The other movie is much harder to follow. Called, Under The Skin. Starring Scarlett Johansson. Without many clues, you learn she is an alien residing within the very nice exterior of Scarlett's hide. She is basically a beautiful lure to get Scottish men back to her dwelling. Where they willingly follow her as she disrobes in a eerie black room, slowly descending into a fluid medium where they are kept. Kind of marinating until they're quickly eviscerated into a food of sorts. A very weird slowly developing movie with minimal dialog. She eventually comes to a conflict with her role as a herder of male nourishment for her planets elite members of it's society. (This I had to find out with some research online). A very strange movie that is hard to get a handle on. But Scarlett is mighty nice to see in various stages of undress. This one either gets praise or ridicule. I'm about half way with it. Since it takes place in Scotland, you need captions. I can't follow their accent.
That's my summer sci-fi mash up. One a plus, the other, whew, bizarre.
Previous Topic: Why the sudden push towards streaming movies and music?
Next Topic: Avengers Endgame: The End Of A Marvelous Storytelling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:59:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout