Home » Audio » Radio » Less People Listening To Radio
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93642 is a reply to message #93641] Sun, 02 May 2021 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I listen to radio all the time. I have a bunch of tube radios and I love to use 'em. I also listen to radio in the car, but probably more often to cassettes.

One of my cars has a CD player and USB input, so I listen to digital audio in that car, but the others are old-school analog, which I love too.

So maybe radio is a generational thing. Maybe the younger crowd prefers digital streaming formats and platforms, and rarely uses radio. But for those over 40, maybe being accustomed to the personalities and the "user-experience" of radio - turn it on and dial in the station - keeps us comfortable with using it.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93643 is a reply to message #93642] Sun, 02 May 2021 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just tried listening to AM on the car radio this morning, (Sunday). After maybe decades of neglect. Well, maybe I'll have to try in the evening and a weekday. Sports schlock, holy roller and a couple Hispanic music choices and that was all she wrote. I have an old tubed Bakelite Philco radio from the 60's that I need to resurrect. It's AM only but if I can ever find any half arsed show to listen to. That could be fun to hear it coming through the old time piece.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93644 is a reply to message #93643] Sun, 02 May 2021 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

FM tube table radios are kind of rare. I have several tube radios, mostly AM-only but probably a half-dozen that tune in SW bands. Only one of my tube radios picks up the FM band though.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93646 is a reply to message #93644] Sun, 02 May 2021 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well it appears I have a Black Mamba on my hands. I was wrong on all counts. Not a Philco, not Bakelite, not 60's. It's a 1957 Motorola 57R table radio. Picture not representative of the current condition. It's filthy inside and out. No breakage though. I brushed off the initial crud. All the tubes look in good shape and the speakers pushes in and out freely. What is a good cleaner for the circuit board? Very retro baby, a la Austin Powers.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2747&private=0

Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93648 is a reply to message #93646] Sun, 02 May 2021 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love that radio!
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93652 is a reply to message #93639] Tue, 04 May 2021 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Mica wrote on Sat, 01 May 2021 21:00
I don't think I have even turned the AM or FM radio on in my car. I listen to Sirius or Pandora. I got tired of the........bad jokes that the radio personalities told.
There is a radio personality duo that has a short spot on the T.V. news show I watch in the morning. Those guys are god-awful dorks, so I feel you on that one.
Re: Less People Listening To Radio [message #93917 is a reply to message #90432] Tue, 15 June 2021 13:01 Go to previous message
Mulcahy is currently offline  Mulcahy
Chancellor
I agree that traditional real-time stations have been on the wane for a few decades. At the same time, radio has shape-shifted to livestreams. It will live on while adapting.
Previous Topic: Which kind of radio do you listen to most?
Next Topic: Alternatives to Sirius Satellite Radio?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:56:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio