Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Definimax 4012HO - End of Life
Re: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life [message #93029 is a reply to message #93028] Thu, 28 January 2021 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!
Re: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life [message #97336 is a reply to message #91836] Mon, 15 January 2024 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott L2 is currently offline  Scott L2
Esquire
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 06 May 2020 16:39

DaveFred wrote on Wed, 06 May 2020 13:44
At the risk of beating a dead horse, Did you look at the Faital Pro 12PR3x0 series of woofers?
We've kinda come full circle. Smile

One of the first drivers mentioned on this thread was a Faital driver. We were talking about Faital 12FH5xx series drivers, which are nice but not suitable for the three π model loudspeaker.

I did look at several other Faital models too, including the 12PR300, 12PR310, 12PR320 and 12PR330.

So, Wayne, please share your findings on the Faital PR3xx series ?
Re: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life [message #97337 is a reply to message #97336] Mon, 15 January 2024 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I'm gonna throw in my uneducated guess-
Fs- too high...

I believe the 3pi design was effective at half an octave lower than the 4-pi... not higher,
But Wayne please correct me!
Re: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life [message #97339 is a reply to message #97337] Mon, 15 January 2024 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't remember specifically what made me pass on the Faital drivers for three Pi model, because I looked at many midwoofers back then.

In many cases, the problem that keeps a driver "off the table" is the basic electro-mechanical stuff. The driver just isn't suited for the box - It's made for a different purpose. While I could re-design for a different box, there's more in play than just the alignment.

The size of the baffle also sets the baffle step characteristics, which play into the flanking sub setup. Once I started using flanking subs, I found that this size cabinet works really well with flanking subs not only because of SBIR/modal mitigation but also by filling-in where the cabinet alignment and baffle-step starts to create drooping response.

Above and beyond the electro-mechanical properties of the midwoofer is its behavior at higher frequencies. Most 12" and 15" midwoofers are great to 500Hz and many are good to 1kHz but the field starts to narrow when trying to find midwoofers that "play nice" above that. We really need clean response to around 1.2kHz for this design.
Re: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life [message #97341 is a reply to message #97339] Mon, 15 January 2024 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott L2 is currently offline  Scott L2
Esquire
Just some ramblings here. Why ? Well, I am snowed in, and what better to do than chat with Mr. Wayne (?)

1)If I read the 3pi specs correctly, it seems like quite the large box for the 4012HO
2)Coincidentally, I use the Definimax 4012 in my own system. I had NO IDEA they were the preferred driver for the 3pi at one time. It's taken quite some time to squeeze the absolute best out of them (for my needs, at least). I started with the PPSL enclosure, but ultimately decided [that] while the ppsl is great for bass, it's not so great for the upper bass/low midrange. While I always had that "thwack", I missed the sustain/tonal development. I now use 2 drivers per channel; each in it's own divided chamber inside a constrained layer damped birch ply box. QB3/staggered tuning. Infra bass(outside units)slide in just under the QB3 tuning.
3) Seems like Eminence is now offering what might be considered the replacement (?) Under the OMEGA name:OMEGA PRO-12-2KW-8 I'm not exactly thrilled with this, as it's cone is heavier and the Qms is sky high. All in the name of super-high power handling, I guess.

Happy listening to all !
Re: Definimax 4012HO - End of Life [message #97342 is a reply to message #97341] Mon, 15 January 2024 15:34 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I loved the Definimax 4012HO. When Eminence introduced it, I gave it a try and immediately found it to be one of my favorites. I hope it gets re-introduced 'cause I thought it was one of Eminence's best 12" drivers.
Previous Topic: Where to get JBL 2226 Dustcap Replaced?
Next Topic: 2pi towers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:36:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout