Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Starting a podcast
Starting a podcast [message #90366] Thu, 23 May 2019 12:51 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
The podcast industry keeps growing each day and its popularity has also risen over time. It is a much more reliable medium for people to speak their mind and probably earn a few bucks over time. I came across the link below and figured out that it isn't something so easy to venture into.

https://www.adorama.com/alc/podcast-equipment-everything-you-need-to-build-your-studio
Re: Starting a podcast [message #90435 is a reply to message #90366] Sat, 15 June 2019 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Echo is currently offline  Echo
Chancellor
Starting a podcast requires a lot of work, patience and commitment. However, once you are up and running, and once you start growing your followers, you can definitely turn a profit from it. I know some people who have built their entire businesses with their podcasts.
Re: Starting a podcast [message #90584 is a reply to message #90435] Sun, 30 June 2019 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Since technology is always changing, I wonder how often podcasters and independent radio programs typically need to upgrade their equipment. Does anyone know? My wife used to do freelance voice over work but the gig platform kept increasing the standards to where her equipment was no longer good enough. She decided to stop instead of buying new gear because the rate of return on the investment just wasn't enough. It almost seems like podcasting and hosting a radio show is very much a labor of love rather than a lucrative job.
Re: Starting a podcast [message #90847 is a reply to message #90584] Sun, 08 September 2019 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Leot55, according to the deal hunting folks at SlickDeals, this USB Microphone Condenser Kit is on sale for about $38 on Amazon if you use code BUK7YZS3 to take $12 off at checkout. I'm not sure when the coupon code will expire. The reviews look pretty decent. Would that mic work for your wife? I'm considering getting one for my nephew's birthday. He wants to start a podcast and the equipment prices quickly add up.
Re: Starting a podcast [message #90958 is a reply to message #90584] Sat, 28 September 2019 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Leot55 wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 17:55
It almost seems like podcasting and hosting a radio show is very much a labor of love rather than a lucrative job.
For some people, yes. I have heard a podcast or two that sounded like they were recorded in someone's garage. The acoustics were terrible, not to mention the guy doing it was not giving good health advice at all .
Re: Starting a podcast [message #91129 is a reply to message #90366] Sun, 10 November 2019 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
drake wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 12:51
The podcast industry keeps growing each day and its popularity has also risen over time. It is a much more reliable medium for people to speak their mind and probably earn a few bucks over time. I came across the link below and figured out that it isn't something so easy to venture into.

https://www.adorama.com/alc/podcast-equipment-everything-you-need-to-build-your-studio
Thank you for the link, that is very useful information.

I was listening to a podcast one day though and I doubt that guy had even half the equipment shown on that site. It sounded like he was recording form his car.
Re: Starting a podcast [message #91146 is a reply to message #91129] Tue, 12 November 2019 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Then they're not going to go very far. The modern day equivalent of someone running their radio station out of their garage.

If you wanna be serious about it, yeah, some good money will be involved.
Re: Starting a podcast [message #92591 is a reply to message #90366] Thu, 12 November 2020 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
I have to admit that I do listen to some podcasts but I get bored of them easily. I would never dream of starting my own. I would think it would take a lot of time. You'd have to research and keep people interested.
Re: Starting a podcast [message #94086 is a reply to message #90366] Thu, 22 July 2021 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
I thought starting a podcast could be similar to making a vlog, but it's more challenging without the visuals. You'll have to keep talking and minimize dead air, so it would be necessary to have a strong foundation on your topics.
Re: Starting a podcast [message #94256 is a reply to message #90366] Tue, 17 August 2021 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
Starting anything is difficult, but if it's something that you want to do, then you'll get to enjoy the process. The problem, however, is not having the capital to buy the equipment needed. I've seen that people who've created a podcast mostly have another work already.
Previous Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - KLOS Guitars
Next Topic: Best Instrument for Kids
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:21:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout