Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » What's the main of main of acoustic treatment?
What's the main of main of acoustic treatment? [message #90358] Mon, 20 May 2019 04:38 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Some sound engineer once told me that acoustics isn't all about deadening a room and killing all reverberation; it is more of restoring a room's natural sound balance through adopting physical adjustments to the space. What are your thoughts?
Re: What's the main of main of acoustic treatment? [message #91159 is a reply to message #90358] Thu, 14 November 2019 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The first thing I thought about here was the process the Rolling Stones went through while recording Exile On Main Street. They were tax exiles in France at the time, and the house they were living they also recorded the album in.

It was an old house that was not built with acoustics in mind, so they adjusted their instruments as much as they could to get a good sound. Charlie Watts for instance laid down his drum tracks in the basement because he felt the sound was better down there than in other rooms.

So sometimes it's not about adjusting the room, but adjusting how and what you play in any given room.
Re: What's the main of main of acoustic treatment? [message #92260 is a reply to message #91159] Sun, 06 September 2020 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
The engineer was right though.( I can't believe I actually said that. Laughing ) Acoustic treatments should not be thought of as solely deadening the acoustics, but rather bringing them out better in any given environment.
Re: What's the main of main of acoustic treatment? [message #92559 is a reply to message #90358] Wed, 04 November 2020 07:21 Go to previous message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
lilbill wrote on Mon, 20 May 2019 04:38
Some sound engineer once told me that acoustics isn't all about deadening a room and killing all reverberation; it is more of restoring a room's natural sound balance through adopting physical adjustments to the space. What are your thoughts?
Makes sense to me. Killing reverberations is soundproofing. Adjusting the physicalities of a room will change the acoustic capabilities when you start adding sound in the room.
Previous Topic: Building a sound proof room
Next Topic: Sound in basement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:56:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout