Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three Pi performance at low volumes
Three Pi performance at low volumes [message #90340] Thu, 16 May 2019 16:18 Go to next message
Mudshark is currently offline  Mudshark
Chancellor
Can anyone comment on the performance of the Three Pis at low listening levels?

I was about to pull the trigger on an order for the waveguides and crossovers when I came across post 82330 in which Wayne responded to a question about the JBL 2226H (which I realise is a 15" and not a 12") confirming that the low end drops off at low volumes (reverse Fletcher-Munson was mentioned) and that to some extent that also applies to the Definimax which I was planning on using the 12" version of in the Three Pi.

I was really looking forward to rediscovering my record collection in late night listening sessions (cliche alert) which means listening at 60-80 dB most of the time so inputs of 10ths of a watt rather than 10s of watts but I foresee disappointment if they don't start to sing until the wick's turned up.

Wayne mentions that it's an issue of suspension compliance which is understandably low with pro drivers designed to take 100s of watts. Which would be the best mid/bass from this point of view if not the Definimax?

Re: Three Pi performance at low volumes [message #90342 is a reply to message #90340] Fri, 17 May 2019 09:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's not an issue if you incorporate flanking subs, which also solve the problem of self-interference from nearest boundaries and room modes at the higher end of the modal region.
Previous Topic: Please send plans for Pi 3 Speakers
Next Topic: 4 Pi Plans Please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:35:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout