Home » Audio » Home Theater » Power Surges
Power Surges [message #90265] Tue, 07 May 2019 00:13 Go to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
In the past six weeks, the power in my home has gone out and then immediately back on again three times. I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the electricity in this city, but I'm worried about my electronics. Anyone have suggestions for the best way to protect them? Do I require anything more than a UPS?
Re: Power Surges [message #90269 is a reply to message #90265] Thu, 09 May 2019 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
If you are worried about the power surges destroying your electronics your best bet is in purchasing a surge protector. Does a UPS really prevent your electronics from being destroyed? It is also claimed that there are certain brands that have in-built mechanisms that prevent them from being damaged.
Re: Power Surges [message #90271 is a reply to message #90269] Thu, 09 May 2019 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
A UPS would certainly protect a device by maintaining its power at a certain level, would it not? Maybe I'm wrong about that! I was also under the impression that a UPS came with a power surge protector, but I see that's not always the case.
Re: Power Surges [message #90315 is a reply to message #90271] Mon, 13 May 2019 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
TheWanderer wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 16:10
A UPS would certainly protect a device by maintaining its power at a certain level, would it not? Maybe I'm wrong about that! I was also under the impression that a UPS came with a power surge protector, but I see that's not always the case.
That's true because a UPS normally regulates incoming voltage besides providing an internal battery that lets it continue running if the power supply is cut. The surge protector, on the other hand, protects against surges or high voltage electrical spikes. I think it is important to have both.
Re: Power Surges [message #90376 is a reply to message #90265] Tue, 28 May 2019 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I guess that your best bet is in having both a UPS and surge protector. A few years back, an electric fault let to a surge in our house and weren't it for the protector, a lot of our electronics would have been damaged.
Re: Power Surges [message #90496 is a reply to message #90265] Mon, 24 June 2019 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
Get a solar power, so you don't have to rely on the power grid.

Besides that, I think you can buy a power cord that has a power surge protector. You may have to spend quite a bit in order to plug in all your electronics to a power cord with a surge protector, but it beats buying UPS for all your electronics.
Re: Power Surges [message #90664 is a reply to message #90265] Wed, 10 July 2019 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
I have a UPS, but it is used only for my personal computer because I don't like to lose the data I'm working with when the computer turned off due to electrical issues. I don't know if it is a good idea to place UPS on all the electronics because there is a limit to how much a UPS can handle.
Re: Power Surges [message #90667 is a reply to message #90664] Wed, 10 July 2019 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi An interesting issue. I use a power conditioner that will compensate for over and under voltages, spikes and EMI. The problem with many UPS is when the actually activate. The waveform many produce is not a clean sine wave. Often it is a stepped square wave. Some sensitive electronics might not be tolerant of it. Computers are designed to handle it (usually) so it is not an issue. I would personally use at lease a surge protector and prefer a power conditioner. I use an APC H15 series that is good for 15 amps. They show up used from time to time pretty cheap. If you go that way be sure that the seller will take it back if it is defective. They do fail from time to time (esp the H10s) and are too expensive to fix.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Power Surges [message #90682 is a reply to message #90265] Sun, 14 July 2019 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
You can opt for a circuit breaker that has a power surge protector. You may have to hire an electrician to install this device. This is a good plan, especially when your area has frequent power disruptions.
Re: Power Surges [message #90892 is a reply to message #90265] Wed, 18 September 2019 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Patrick69 is currently offline  Patrick69
Baron
Very interesting! After reading this, I did some research on what exactly a UPS was. I would honestly think that using a surge protector would be all you would need. You could use both though to be safe.

Previous Topic: Combining New With Old?
Next Topic: Calling a professional
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:50:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout