Home » Audio » Craftsmen » DIY audio gear vs. visual gear
DIY audio gear vs. visual gear [message #90260] Mon, 06 May 2019 22:25 Go to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
DIYers, have you ever noticed that it's tougher to repair and upgrade visual equipment on your own than it is audio equipment? If you want a better audio setup you can always upgrade your speakers, add a soundbar, or reposition the speakers you already own to best work with the acoustics in that room. Turntables, speakers, and radios can all be repaired at home. However, if something goes wrong with your television, you pretty much have to send it off to the manufacturer or buy another one. Why is it so much tougher to work on visual equipment at home?
Re: DIY audio gear vs. visual gear [message #90267 is a reply to message #90260] Tue, 07 May 2019 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
When my lcd tv went haywire a few years back, I thought that was all she wrote. Looking online I saw quite a few video's about the power supply caps going bad, exhibiting a bulging in the top of the cap. I thought, I can replace those. But, none looked bad. I found a local source that worked on these tv's as it turned out one of the IC chips had gone bad. This thing had a multitude of tiny solder leads that was beyond my capability. Turned out I got it fixed for a little over a c-note. Better than spending a half a grand or more for a new tv. Then the volume control went crazy, going up or down all the way all by itself. Once again, looking online I found what was an easy fix. Simply disconnecting a wire that enabled the volume button on the side of the tv. Nobody gets up to use the manual volume button, so, no big deal and keeping me from spending big bucks again. Thus, it can be done to some degree. Just check your local resources and youtube.
Re: DIY audio gear vs. visual gear [message #90273 is a reply to message #90260] Thu, 09 May 2019 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I think smart T.V.s might have some sort of proprietary software that makes it impossible to work on yourself. It's possible to work on some televisions - for instance, I've fixed my plasma television more than once and I fixed the image retention problem on my aunt's OLED television.

Re: DIY audio gear vs. visual gear [message #90286 is a reply to message #90273] Sat, 11 May 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Everything I've been reading here about smart tv's is that it's smart to stay away from the bloomin' things.
Re: DIY audio gear vs. visual gear [message #90618 is a reply to message #90260] Tue, 02 July 2019 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
We can "try" fixing our TV by tapping the back part of the TV. Very Happy

Jesting aside, YouTube is a great source for DIY tutorials. If the TV or projector is still under warranty, then have the TV returned to the manufacturer. Otherwise, we can repair it, but sometimes the result is not what we expect.
Re: DIY audio gear vs. visual gear [message #90622 is a reply to message #90618] Tue, 02 July 2019 22:39 Go to previous message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Augustus, since a television has both visual and audio components maybe it's just more fiddly. I'm not a DIY person and I come to this section to read and learn from you all. However, I've noticed that televisions involve different types of electrical components and lighting depending on the kind it is. LED, QLED, LCD, Smart TVs, it's just more specialized and maybe that has something to do with it.

Rusty, Smart TVs are becoming harder and harder to avoid.
Previous Topic: Where to get kits
Next Topic: Where do you look for ideas?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:18:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio