Home » Audio » Speaker » Bose.
Bose. [message #90144] Tue, 23 April 2019 23:50 Go to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
Are Bose speakers really all they're cracked up to be? I've heard a few acquaintances singing their praises. The prices of their products are pretty high, so hopefully the quality matches the price tag. I'm just curious.
Re: Bose. [message #90151 is a reply to message #90144] Wed, 24 April 2019 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
Bose made a huge name for itself when it created its noise-cancelling earphones. They've ridden on that reputation ever since then. Their speakers are good and they're generally easy to set up, however, they really aren't magical. I have the computer speakers and they aren't more impressive than other speakers I've tried. Honestly, I think it's their name that makes their speakers seem better to many people. The high price tag probably adds to the aurora of greatness. But now they've got some stiff competition as JBL and Sony have created some superb products that rival those created by Bose. I think you'll likely end up with a quality product if you buy from the Bose brand but it isn't necessarily the best.
Re: Bose [message #90159 is a reply to message #90144] Fri, 26 April 2019 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I agree with you Augustus that the noise-cancelling headphones propelled this company to greater heights but that doesn't necessarily mean that their products are any superior. If anything, the likes of Sony and Panasonic have also joined the fray and manufactured equally consistent and quality noise-cancelling headphones.

Just to digress, what's the most you'd spend on such headphones?
Re: Bose. [message #90391 is a reply to message #90144] Sun, 02 June 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I haven't been able to verify it but I once read an article that claimed that Bose doesn't release any audio specifications for their products. Apart from the noise-cancelling headphones, this company also made its name with the portable Bluetooth speakers.
Re: Bose. [message #90393 is a reply to message #90391] Sun, 02 June 2019 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

See for yourself: Try to find any acoustic measurements published by Bose speakers. Better yet, find measurements made by a third-party. Look up their classic flagship, the Bose 901, for example.
Re: Bose. [message #90394 is a reply to message #90393] Sun, 02 June 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"The emphasis at Bose is on marketing and the illusion of quality sound thru subjective techniques. They use low quality drivers and enclosures. They try to limit dealers to demonstrating their speakers under controlled environments that do not allow objective comparisons to other brands. They push the simple operation and lack of technical functions to those that are intimidated by complicated systems. It is all very effective".

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/the-honest-to-god-truth-about-bose-speakers-amen-165323/
Re: Bose. [message #90400 is a reply to message #90144] Wed, 05 June 2019 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
"Are Bose speakers really all they're cracked up to be?"

In my experience, no...they are not.
Re: Bose. [message #90405 is a reply to message #90400] Thu, 06 June 2019 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had always considered Bose marketed to older folk whom were uninformed and felt the company offered convenience, innovation and quality built into their products. People really not too critical of what constituted good sound. Just plug n play. Bose marketing seems to fit that niche.
Re: Bose. [message #90568 is a reply to message #90144] Sun, 30 June 2019 03:57 Go to previous message
Echo is currently offline  Echo
Chancellor
They definitely have made a name for themselves, and for good reason. Having said that, I agree that there are other brands that offer better quality. I personally can vouch for JBL. I love their products.
Previous Topic: Rattling sound
Next Topic: Speakers that look like art
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:37:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout