Home » Audio » General » Your oldest piece of gear
Your oldest piece of gear [message #90102] Thu, 11 April 2019 23:39 Go to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
What's the oldest piece of audio or visual gear that you own and still use today? I haven't exactly used it recently, but I kept my old Squeezebox Touch going after it was discontinued thanks to the forums with helpful advice dedicated to the device.
Re: Your oldest piece of gear [message #90103 is a reply to message #90102] Fri, 12 April 2019 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A Hafler 220 amplifier. Vintage, 1986. The only thing I've had to replace was the on/off switch. It's been a great piece of gear and sounds better than most of what is available for modest money these day's.
Re: Your oldest piece of gear [message #90107 is a reply to message #90102] Sat, 13 April 2019 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I used to have a lot of audio equipment that I ended up either giving away or storing at the basement store. Rusty, does the Hafler 220 amplifier work just fine?
Re: Your oldest piece of gear [message #90110 is a reply to message #90107] Sat, 13 April 2019 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes. It's a great sounding amp. A design of David Hafler. One of the first amplifiers to use mosfet output. Mine was a kit I soldered together. It's worked flawlessly save having to replace the power switch. They're always seen for sale on ebay for cheap.
Re: Your oldest piece of gear [message #90112 is a reply to message #90110] Sat, 13 April 2019 17:03 Go to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I prefer modern televisions, projectors, and home theater systems, but for just about everything else, I seek out older devices because I think things were made better back then. I've snagged some antique radios at estate sales. I've sold a few, but I mostly buy them for the nostalgia. My older relatives love to display them as a reminder of their childhood. I currently use my father's old Zenith stereo system. It plays records and tapes and has the standard radio, amps, and speakers. I had to replace the cartridge, but other than that, it worked fine, even after all that time of sitting and gathering dust. Most of the records still play too. My girls listen to my old Fisher Price record player that I got for my third birthday. You might have had one of these - they looked like a small suitcase and were very popular back in the day. I was born right when records were about to be replaced by cassette tapes.
Previous Topic: Speaker producing hums
Next Topic: The future of wired headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:35:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout