Home » Audio » Home Theater » Upgrading the router/hub
Upgrading the router/hub [message #90091] Thu, 11 April 2019 04:26 Go to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Whereas there is every indication that the smart TV is functioning properly, I have been experiencing slow loading and low resolution while streaming. Is it possible that the Wi-Fi router provided by my ISP may not be of the best quality? Will changing the router guarantee a better signal?
Re: Upgrading the router/hub [message #90099 is a reply to message #90091] Thu, 11 April 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's possible, definitely. I'd say probably the WiFi signal is the first most likely culprit and definite the first thing I'd check.

If you can, connect directly with an ethernet cable. That's your best performance option too, so if possible, leave it that way.

But if it's not possible or if inconvenient, you might try changing WiFi radio channels. There are only a few options, and most routers are set to automatically select. That's a good thing to do - so in the end I'd prefer leaving it set to "auto" - but while troubleshooting, it makes sense to manually select channels on the router. This may reduce interference from a neighbor that might also be on the same channel.

And of course, you could be right that your router might just be defective. For some reason, I see an abnormally high failure rate in inexpensive WiFi routers. Mostly it's the ones that are also providing the physical connection to the ISP though, which have more exposure to environmental EMF. So that's probably why they fail more often.

Don't rule out the possibility that it may be the line in from the ISP. If you have checked everything on your end and found no remedy, then make a service call to the ISP. The problem could be on their network drop to your home.
Re: Upgrading the router/hub [message #90115 is a reply to message #90091] Sun, 14 April 2019 03:04 Go to previous message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Hi Wayne, what a great way to explain this! You know a friend suggested that the best option is in using an ethernet cable and now that you mentioned it, this is definitely the way to go. As you say, purchasing another router should be a measure of last resort!
Previous Topic: The Importance of Screen Angle
Next Topic: Is 4K TV A Must?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:16:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout