Home » Audio » Speaker » Pi speaker arrangement.
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90404 is a reply to message #90044] Thu, 06 June 2019 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Nice job on the mounting plates. Don't remember seeing that trick done before.

You're going to have an amazing room.
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90407 is a reply to message #90404] Thu, 06 June 2019 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Thanks.
it's really not necessary to do it that way, and simply installing the spacer would have been much easier.

I was concerned about increasing the volume of the compression chamber, but with some reading on the forum, I discovered that using the spacer does nothing toward changing the response of the mid horn.

Also, If you think about it, routing a round groove the way I did also increases the chamber volume, so why not just use the spacer?

Sometimes I just can't help but do things the hard way lol.

The one advantage is it helped keep the cabinet enclosure on the back of the horn a bit further away from the edges of the woofer magnet.

I'm getting closer to being ready to pull the waveguides and woofers out of my 4pi's for using to complete the 7's,
but the thought of pulling them apart makes me a bit sad.

Kind of like saying farewell to an old friend....
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90411 is a reply to message #90044] Fri, 07 June 2019 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hey Barry,
I tried to send you a PM about the 4pi's.
Please let me know if you received it.

I'm having a hard time knowing whether or not it went through lol.
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90414 is a reply to message #90411] Sat, 08 June 2019 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Glad you posted here as the message went through but there was no notification.

Reply sent. It is hard to know if the messages go through sometimes.
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90425 is a reply to message #90044] Thu, 13 June 2019 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I have finally completed the mid-horns (for the most part).-

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2373&private=0

All that's left is for me to build the bass bins.
I'm really chomping at the bit to hear these!!

The trouble is- I am finding it hard to disassemble my beloved 4pi's for this build!!

What's more...... I own another 4 jbl 2226's.
but a good friend is currently using them, and will be for some time.

I do have 4 eminence lab 12 subs on hand.
Perhaps I'll sit the mid-horns atop those for a while, till a I re-posses the jbl's.

I'm certain I would have to bi-amp though, as they are only 89db sensitive (and 6ohm).

I also doubt they would sound as good north of 100hz....they are sub-woofers after all, not mid-woofers,
but I'm just dying to hear these mid-horns!!
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90428 is a reply to message #90044] Fri, 14 June 2019 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi John,

Great looking horns. You're going to have a great pair of 7 Pi's.

Years back I recall there were folks on this board that didn't have proper corners for 7 Pi's but wanted to use the mid horn. They used the 4 Pi as a bass bin and put the mid horn and tweeter on top.

Might be a way to get some magic going before you finish the 7 Pi bass bins.

Barry
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90429 is a reply to message #90428] Fri, 14 June 2019 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Boy you've done a colossal job on those mid horns. I really dig that color combination. I was wondering about your construction technique. It looks rather like you slotted vertical with the horizontal, or visa versa. But I can't tell for sure with the small pic's. But it seemed a great way to get a tight fit with the mating surfaces. Anyway, just a great job.
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90430 is a reply to message #90429] Fri, 14 June 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Those horns look great!
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #90431 is a reply to message #90044] Fri, 14 June 2019 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks guys.

I'm not sure why the pic is sideways here. When I posted it from my i-phone, it was in the correct orientation.

Any way....The mid horns aren't quite as nice as they look in these scrappy I-phone pics, but I appreciate the complements.
That's a rather dark overhang/shed area attached to the back of my garage, where I like to do this type of work (making lots of saw dust lol).

I didnt quite get the front edges (the orange parts where the horn flares meet the enclosure) of the horns as nice and flush as I'd like them.
You can't really see it with the poor lighting. Also, that orange paint is a flat finish so it doest show much imperfection (which is exactly why I used it lol).
The orange color is nothing special, it's the same paint I used over the stucco walls at the front end of the basement (you can see that in the earlier pics in this thread). I had it around so I used it, figured it might help them blend in.

I'm guessing once they're in the front corners of the basement, under those bright overhead led lights, they wont look as nice, in which case Ill just go ahead and make them better.

The actual horn flares are sprayed with Mohawk (cans) satin black.
The same old procedure- paint and sand... paint and sand...repeat...repeat...

Barry, yes Ive read about setting the horns atop the upside down 4pi's.
That's a good way for me to give these a listen.

Rusty... I cut two identical bottom and top pieces (like a triangle) for the mid horn enclosure, like a base and top plate.
They glued and screwed (carefully lol) to the front of the horn flares and the driver mounting plate supports.
Then I installed the short (about 4"s) side pieces. Then the 90 degree back closure piece last, which is removable (obviously) to service the mid-woofer.
Re: Pi speaker arrangement. [message #91059 is a reply to message #90044] Thu, 10 October 2019 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master
I hadn't updated in a while. Ive been slammed during my busy season.

I still haven't gotten to building the bass bins yet, which is by far the easiest part IMO...
(aside from being too busy, I'm also a very good starter, but a lousy finisher lol).

Weeks ago I did get a pair of my bass wedges back, and I just couldn't help but throw them into place under the mid-horns and wave-guides and give them a listen-

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2457&private=0

Needless to say I am pretty astounded at their performance.
Can you say "Dynamics"?

Ive never owned anything else that came as close to the "band in the room" sound.
I had an Elvis party on Aug. 16th and evrybody was really grooving on the sound! Fun stuff!

Bruce's (Oddwatt Audio) pre amp and mono blocks sure help round out this dynamic combination.

Thanks Wayne and Bruce for the opportunity to D.I.Y. the best system Ive ever owned or heard in such a (relatively) small room!

• Attachment: IMG_0546.jpg
    (Size: 87.48KB, Downloaded 418 times)
Previous Topic: Best desktop speakers
Next Topic: Planar magnetic headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:13:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers