Home » Audio » General » Purchasing a Smart TV
Purchasing a Smart TV [message #89968] Thu, 28 March 2019 11:32 Go to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I have been shopping for a TV for a month now, and I realized that many people (like me) often don't check for the model number as that determines whether or not it is the latest version. A newer model would definitely fetch a higher price, right? Do you also look for specs like full HD?
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #89982 is a reply to message #89968] Sun, 31 March 2019 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
When shopping for electronics in general, I really don't check for the latest model but whether or not it has the specifications I am looking for. A latest model would fetch a higher price when in essence, it will not have not undergone major upgrades.
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90018 is a reply to message #89968] Sat, 06 April 2019 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I agree with cwemoy because the price doesn't always justify the quality of Smart TV. Checking TV reviews online is a good way to check the quality of the Smart TV that we like to buy.
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90071 is a reply to message #89968] Tue, 09 April 2019 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I agree that checking for online reviews and matching your needs to the specifications, can be a good way to make the purchasing decision. Again, cost alone should never be used to determine the quality of a TV, or any electronic device for that matter.
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90095 is a reply to message #89968] Thu, 11 April 2019 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
What I usually do when purchasing electronic devices is to check it in a brick-and-mortar shop. The next step for me is to set a budget on the price of the electronic gadget that I wanted to buy. Lastly is to compare the qualities of different brands based on my budget.
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90098 is a reply to message #90095] Thu, 11 April 2019 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
I concur with you Reggie about checking an electronic device in a brick-and-mortar shop before purchasing it. I would never purchase an item from an online shop unless I was assured about its quality.
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90101 is a reply to message #90098] Thu, 11 April 2019 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
I thought my smart T.V. was great until last week when Sony and Google took over my television to show me ads. It's been a hassle dealing with it. I've decided to replace my smart television with a "dumb" model of some sort.
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90500 is a reply to message #90101] Mon, 24 June 2019 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
Augustus wrote on Thu, 11 April 2019 23:24
I thought my smart T.V. was great until last week when Sony and Google took over my television to show me ads. It's been a hassle dealing with it. I've decided to replace my smart television with a "dumb" model of some sort.
Smart enough to annoy you then? I call that smart a**. Smile

I guess you can turn off your internet connection while watching through your smart TV and that will stop the ads from appearing. So what did you do with your smart TV after replacing it with the dumb one?
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90721 is a reply to message #90500] Mon, 29 July 2019 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been appraising hdtv's and it seems that the smart choice is about the only choice to choose from anymore. My oldish by hdtv standards is again acting wonky, (screen going black). Which from all I can gather online is that either the led strips or their power supply is starting to go kaput. If you can find a non smart tv, it'll be an old model. The usual lcd tv are being overtaken by oled tv's. But their price is still higher. And I'm not willing to spend a thousand and more bucks on a friggin tv. The steady march is on with this technology, but if at the expense of adware becoming a fixture with television viewing, the trade off of a pretty picture for annoyance seems pretty thin to me.
Re: Purchasing a Smart TV [message #90722 is a reply to message #90721] Mon, 29 July 2019 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't purchased a TV in a couple years, so I'm now going to do one of the worst things I could do here: Make a comment on an internet discussion board about which I have absolutely no first-hand experience. Laughing

But here goes.

I have several smart devices, mostly Roku boxes. And while they do often float ads across the screen saver, it isn't terribly annoying. Once I'm in one of the services, they float in their own ads, at their own frequency. The "free" services like Crackle put ads all over the place, and inject them into the content every few minutes. The paid services like Netflix tend to limit their ads to previews of their newest offerings, which is not distracting to me and is in fact, interesting and helpful.

Not sure that will translate completely to smart TV users' experiences, but I would expect it to be pretty close. They're very similar products with very similar markets.
Previous Topic: Has Anyone Studied Us?
Next Topic: How Music Affects Us
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:05:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout