Home » Audio » Speaker » Best desktop speakers
Best desktop speakers [message #89932] Sat, 16 March 2019 21:45 Go to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
Does anyone have recommendations for really great small speakers for my desktop computer? I was considering getting a monitor with built-in speakers, but after thinking about it more, I realize it's a silly idea and I'll be left frustrated with subpar sound. Amazon has about 18,000 choices all with 4.5 star reviews (of course). Laughing
Re: Best desktop speakers [message #89939 is a reply to message #89932] Mon, 18 March 2019 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Well, just as you say, there seem to be a lot of choices at our disposal and it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and the kind of quality you have in mind.
Re: Best desktop speakers [message #90022 is a reply to message #89932] Sat, 06 April 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I would recommend that you buy your desktop speaker in brick-and-mortar store because you can check the quality of the speaker that you like to buy. There will be limited choices compare to shopping on Amazon, but I guess there is not much difference between what they sell on Amazon and what you can buy at your nearest electronics shop.
Re: Best desktop speakers [message #90042 is a reply to message #90022] Sun, 07 April 2019 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The answer may be one that relates to size of the speakers, whether or not you need self powered ones or will use a dedicated amp with them. Your budget may also be a big factor. Some are as little as $5 and others 100 times that much.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Best desktop speakers [message #90064 is a reply to message #90042] Tue, 09 April 2019 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
gofar99 wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 16:39
Some are as little as $5 and others 100 times that much.
This is one of the factors why I suggested that we should buy a computer speaker at a brick-and-mortar shop because we can check the quality to its corresponding price.
Re: Best desktop speakers [message #90603 is a reply to message #90064] Mon, 01 July 2019 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Creative makes a few decent low-budget computer speakers. The A250 might be the best of that pack. You can turn it all the way up and there's no sound distortion. The audio is crisp and well-balanced. Obviously, If you're willing to spend more there are better options out there, but for less than $30, Creative typically offers the best of the cheapies.
Jethro wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 11:09

This is one of the factors why I suggested that we should buy a computer speaker at a brick-and-mortar shop because we can check the quality to its corresponding price.
I envy you for that. Online shopping is super convenient, but I miss being able to go into the store and get a feel for what's offered. I'm pretty much stuck with Target and Walmart for small electronics like that.

Re: Best desktop speakers [message #90683 is a reply to message #90603] Sun, 14 July 2019 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Leot55 wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 14:31
I'm pretty much stuck with Target and Walmart for small electronics like that.
This is one of the main problems of capitalism. The big and mighty companies will kill off small entrepreneurs. The online market is still controlled by big companies and small enterprises needed to connect with these giants in order to get traffic, which will lessen their income because the big companies will have a cut from the sales.
Re: Best desktop speakers [message #90894 is a reply to message #89932] Thu, 19 September 2019 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JordanS is currently offline  JordanS
Chancellor
I recently purchased a set of Logitech MX Sound 2.0 speakers from Amazon. I bought these for my desk at work. I love that they are small but powerful- the bass is amazing! They are wireless and super easy to connect to. I paid right around $80.
Re: Best desktop speakers [message #90895 is a reply to message #89932] Thu, 19 September 2019 08:29 Go to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
There is a kit offering by Danny Richie using his 3" driver called the LGK. There was a pair of them at the Lone Star show a few years that Mike Lundy had put together from the kit and they were demoed with a dragonfly dac and a small tube amp.

Too much money for computer audio? Sure. But there was no denying they were superb. Never heard a desktop system sound that nice.

My desk is built into the wall and doesn't allow enough space for them. If there was room they would be there.
Previous Topic: Good Vibrations
Next Topic: Pi speaker arrangement.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:04:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout