Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Song Covers Are Better
Song Covers Are Better [message #89930] Sat, 16 March 2019 07:54 Go to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
I've noticed that song covers are much better than the original songs these days. This is a subjective issue, so I might be alone on this one. How do you like the song covers that amateur singers do?
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #89931 is a reply to message #89930] Sat, 16 March 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I used to think poorly of cover songs. But I've come to agree with you that some covers are better than the original.
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #89937 is a reply to message #89930] Mon, 18 March 2019 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
There are plenty of covers I like better than the originals, but I'm not sure that's limited to recent days. I can recall many instances of cover songs I enjoyed more than their original counterparts from long ago.
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #89943 is a reply to message #89930] Mon, 18 March 2019 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
A few cover songs are OK, but in my opinion, good ones are few and far between. Everyone with a piano/guitar and a webcam thinks they can perform a song well and broadcasts it to YouTube. Some people are into that, which is fine, just not for me.
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #89957 is a reply to message #89930] Mon, 25 March 2019 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Not all song covers sound better but there are few that stand out. There are a few people that can really get creative with working on other people's songs. Which song cover could we easily regard as the best of all time?
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #89990 is a reply to message #89937] Wed, 03 April 2019 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
TheWanderer wrote on Mon, 18 March 2019 02:07
There are plenty of covers I like better than the originals, but I'm not sure that's limited to recent days. I can recall many instances of cover songs I enjoyed more than their original counterparts from long ago.
I agree that there were many cover songs in the past, and they were even done by famous musicians. It is so much easier these days to make a cover song because we don't need a studio to create a song.
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #90408 is a reply to message #89930] Fri, 07 June 2019 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Echo is currently offline  Echo
Chancellor
It depends. I have heard some song covers that literally gave me goosebumps because they were that good, and much better than the original songs. Other times, however, they were not very impressive.
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #90412 is a reply to message #89930] Fri, 07 June 2019 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Does any one here like Elvis?

Every song he performed was a cover, or was written for him.
Some of the artists felt they would make more money in royalties that way, and the passage of time has proven them right.

There's certainly some bad covers though.
Ive never heard a Led Zeppelin cover song I liked. There are some bands that are more like "mimic" bands, meaning you can hear they are just trying to duplicate exactly the original song, which I never understood the point.

It's like an Elvis impersonator...
The closer they get, the creepier it seems lol.
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #90413 is a reply to message #90412] Fri, 07 June 2019 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, I like some good old Elvi. He had a soulful voice, and any song he covered became his own. I've got two of his old albums, Pot O Gold and Fun In Acapulco.

For the ultimate in bad taste, here's a band that plagiarizes both Elvis and Led Zeppelin. But they're so campy it's kinda fun. Throw in a reggae beat to make it completely over the top. Dread Zeppelin, doing Black Dog. Ay Chihuahua!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHWy6W00oM
Re: Song Covers Are Better [message #90551 is a reply to message #90413] Sat, 29 June 2019 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
I think cover songs work exceptionally well when it's done by a live band that isn't well-known. A lot of people want to sing along with the music and playing a popular song gets the crowd pumped up.

@johnnycamp5, maybe they're paying homage to the band they admire or are trying to prove they're just as good by mimicking them? That's all I can come up with on that front. I never understood it either.
Previous Topic: Brain Enhancement Through Classical Music
Next Topic: Rebooting Long Dead TV Series
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:12:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout