Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Under or On The Wall (Electrical Wirings)
Under or On The Wall [message #89896] Sun, 10 March 2019 10:29 Go to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I'm planning to redesign my room to accommodate a new set of speakers and a TV monitor. I will need an additional electrical outlet for these gadgets. Do you think an extension electrical cord will do the job or should I have a fixed electrical outlet in the walls?
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #89914 is a reply to message #89896] Tue, 12 March 2019 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
Installing an extra electrical outlet would be ideal as they're safer and more reliable than an extension cord. If you're using the extension cord for a small number of items, it's alright, but when you get to the point of having lots of things on the cord, you should consider installing another outlet instead.
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #89941 is a reply to message #89896] Mon, 18 March 2019 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
I go with Wanderer. Extension cords may not hold the electrical capacity that will flow through it with a lot of electronics plugged into it. Better be safe than sorry, my friend.
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #89983 is a reply to message #89896] Tue, 02 April 2019 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
Thanks for your advice. The reason I don't want to install a new electrical outlet is because I don't want to ruin the wall. I may have to hire somebody to install it so that the wall will look still the same when the installation is finished.
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #90591 is a reply to message #89983] Mon, 01 July 2019 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I saw you posted this in March so it might already be a finished project. I'm just chiming in to say that it's not hard to DIY an electrical outlet and to make the hole disappear back into the wall again. The outlet wall plate will help with that. I'm all for hiring pros, but sometimes it's difficult to find one to do a small job like that.
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #90617 is a reply to message #90591] Tue, 02 July 2019 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Madison wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 06:23
sometimes it's difficult to find one to do a small job like that.
I concur with you. Another alternative is to cover the new power cord with wallpaper if you don't want to ruin the wall. Use a U-shaped fastener to secure the power cord and cover it with wallpaper.
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #91164 is a reply to message #90617] Thu, 14 November 2019 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Always check the load capacities people. Find out which breaker services that part of the house, the size of that breaker, the loads already in it and whether another outlet will overload it or not.

Math is involved.
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #92244 is a reply to message #91164] Tue, 01 September 2020 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
If it would you could always string more wire to another part of the house and wire it to another breaker that will handle the load. More work and wiring involved, but I personally think it would be better than an extension cord.
Re: Under or On The Wall [message #92247 is a reply to message #92244] Tue, 01 September 2020 21:34 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I highly suggest that anyone that is not well versed in electrical wiring and understands the applicable electrical codes not undertake anything to do with mains AC wiring. Some of the suggestions are serious code violations and can result in bad things happening. What I would suggest it that if you have a number of devices in the system and not enough plugs is to get one of the power converters. Not a strip or simple surge protector. The converters will depending on the model filter, maintain the voltage, surge protect and act as a sort of circuit breaker if you overload it. Many provide visual information on the voltage output, power being consumed and other factors. Some are quite costly, others not so much. I like ones by APC. I use an H-1500 on my main system. I have a Triplet in my shop as well. It is a simple cure to the problem and will protect both you and your gear from many types of problems. You can also use it as a single point power on off switch for the system (I do).

BTW, even with 4 tube mono blocks and lots of other gear my APC indicates a load of less than 700 watts when everything is running. Unless you have really power hungry gear it should not be nearly enough to cause a problem on any normal household circuit. That is unless you do something odd like plugging in a space heater in the same one.

If in doubt get an electrician to install a dedicated circuit for you. It is likely to be a worthwhile investment.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Exposing The Wires Without Cutting It
Next Topic: Car Stereo In The House
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:53:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers