Home » xyzzy » Tower » Opinions Remain As Opinions
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89972 is a reply to message #89962] Thu, 28 March 2019 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
Rusty wrote on Wed, 27 March 2019 15:55
Any debate, becomes an emotional quagmire.
You can say that again because this always happens with my brother and me when we talk about his ridiculous ideas and opinions. The thing is that he sees my viewpoints ridiculous, as well.

Have we gone into a society that is so gullible into accepting everything, like the Earth is flat?
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #89974 is a reply to message #89972] Thu, 28 March 2019 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Have we gone into a society that is so gullible into accepting everything, like the Earth is flat?
https://www.tfes.org/
The flat earth society have a format of legitimacy that makes seemingly rational account obstinately to all manner of scientific and historical evidence to the contrary of their reasoning. This is groupthink embedded in concrete. Some would probably support their fantasy even if they went up to visit the international space station. It must be trying for you knowing your sibling is swayed so by petty reasoning. Mark Twain's views on travel is as good a sentiment for this subject as I can figure.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90020 is a reply to message #89890] Sat, 06 April 2019 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
You are right about the groupthink being embedded in concrete. The thing is that I know that my brother is intelligent. I guess I have to apply what Einstein said for my experience with my brother. Einstein said, "the difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limit!"
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90032 is a reply to message #89890] Sun, 07 April 2019 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
I agree with the title. There are opinions that were formed based on facts and others were formed based on other opinions. Determining the difference is sometimes blurry because some people think of opinions as facts.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90039 is a reply to message #89890] Sun, 07 April 2019 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I feel it's herd mentality based on personal biases. It's so easy today to seek out and find groups to reinforce this thinking. Instead of stepping away and viewing the alternative, doing some homework so to speak. Einstein sure got it right. Stupidity and self delusion knows no bounds.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90065 is a reply to message #89890] Tue, 09 April 2019 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
One of the things that will tick me off is that my brother believes other people's opinions instead of his own family. Sometimes I think that he purposely does this to show his open rebellion towards his own family.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90069 is a reply to message #90065] Tue, 09 April 2019 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That could be. Just spiteful obstinance. Maybe he'll grow out of it. Guess you'll just have to roll with it and keep the peace.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90208 is a reply to message #89890] Wed, 01 May 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
More and more people seem to be practicing Confirmation Bias these days. They will listen to talk shows or other people who share the same viewpoint, thus confirming their view. I believe this is why less and less people actually debate issues and would rather argue their point.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90232 is a reply to message #90208] Sun, 05 May 2019 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Kingfish wrote on Wed, 01 May 2019 10:49
More and more people seem to be practicing Confirmation Bias these days. They will listen to talk shows or other people who share the same viewpoint, thus confirming their view. I believe this is why less and less people actually debate issues and would rather argue their point.
That is your opinion, buddy. Laughing

That sounds about right though. I blame the media, left wing identity politics and a gullible public for leaning to the side of anger and divisiveness.
Re: Opinions Remain As Opinions [message #90257 is a reply to message #90232] Mon, 06 May 2019 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You would think with all the available means to seek out rational pro and con information to arrive at a reasoned guide to ones compass to the way of the world, and have an aspiration to improve our lot. People still embrace archaic ideology immersed in conspiracy theories. Copping out of just looking things up and actually reading what the subject matter is all about.
Previous Topic: Gary Larson Interview
Next Topic: The Blob
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:55:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout