Home » Audio » Source » Turntable hum
Re: Turntable hum [message #12642 is a reply to message #12632] Tue, 22 November 2005 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
This is a different kind of problem considering you are patching into the computor. I have heard that some soundcards are not compatible with some phono stages but don't know why that would be; but the symptom is loud hum so maybe that is the problem.
Let me ask you; does the hum change with the volume control? Does it get louder or softer?

Re: Turntable hum [message #12643 is a reply to message #12642] Tue, 22 November 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous is currently offline  Anonymous
Baron
Yes, it does. And I get this hum no matter what I connect my turntable to or through.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12644 is a reply to message #12643] Wed, 23 November 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ever modify or change anything on the table? Also; which cartridge do you use? Last; have you checked the continuity of the tonearm wiring and AC Line input?

Re: Turntable hum [message #12647 is a reply to message #12644] Wed, 23 November 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
No, never myself. Maybe the previous owner did.

I am using an Ortofon OM 305 cartridge. Want to buy an Ortofon OM 30 as soon as I fix the problem. It gives off hum even when the cartridge is disconnected.

Not sure about continuity of the tonearm wiring and AC line input. (Let me ask you: why AC? Isn't it operated by DC?)

On weekends I will borrow my friend's multimeter and check the turntable from A to Z.

I was also give a suggestion to purchase a noise filter. Could that be helpful?

Re: Turntable hum [message #12648 is a reply to message #12647] Wed, 23 November 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Sorry. Not sure if it is an "OM 305", but it clearly says "ortofon 305" on the cartridge.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12649 is a reply to message #12648] Wed, 23 November 2005 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That turntable uses a DC wal-wart? Then chances are it is not the table; could be the soundcard. This is pretty interesting; we'll get to the bottom of it. Have you tried another cartridge by any chance?

Re: Turntable hum [message #12650 is a reply to message #12649] Thu, 24 November 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Do you mean a computer sound card? Yes, I have a crappy one, but it is definitely not the source of the problem. I tried connecting my turntable DIRECTLY to my computer speakers (well, through the preamp, of course), without the help of my computer. No matter how and through what I connect it, it gives off that hum. It is a hundred percent turntable-caused problem.

Unfortunately, I have not yet tried using a differet cartridge. I do want to buy a new one, and I was thinking, maybe I should go and buy it now, even before I fix the problem? I will purchase a brand new turntable sometime anyway, so I will need one. For now, I could use it on my old turntable.

Let me think...

And on weekends I am going to post the results of the test.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12651 is a reply to message #12650] Thu, 24 November 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excellent. Why not try a cheap cartridge for now and see if that causes any change? Should be able to find one in one of those DJ stores for 25$ that you could troubleshoot with.
I use a Stanton 500 I paid 39$ for on my Technics SL 1300 downstairs and it sure sounds nice. Tracks anything and has great bass.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12652 is a reply to message #12651] Sun, 27 November 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hello!

Just checked the continuity of the tonearm wiring to the ground - it is fine. Also tried my turntable with another cartridge - same thing.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12657 is a reply to message #12652] Wed, 30 November 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Then we are left with an overloaded input to the soundcard or a ground loop in the AC line sequence; thats pretty much what it is. Try a two prong adapter in the turntable plug in to the wall.

Previous Topic: Help needed with a turntable purchase
Next Topic: Automatic Reject rejects too soon. Fisher MT-6630
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:00:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout