Home » Audio » Source » Turntable hum
Turntable hum [message #12609] Wed, 16 November 2005 17:48 Go to next message
Anonymous is currently offline  Anonymous
Baron
Hello!

I have a Dual CS 505-2 belt-driven turntable, an Ortofon 305 cartridge (soon to purchase an OM 30), RCA AH500 preamplifier and the following problem: intense hum in both channels. So intense that I can barely hear the music. The hum can be heard as soon as the amplifier is turned on, even when the motor is not used and the record is not spinning. I tried swapping the wires connected to the cartridge with no change. My turntable has a grounding wire that is not connected to anything, although I tried connecting it to the back of my computer with no change also. One interesting thing is... when I attached the grounding wire to one of the RCA connections, the hum disappeared completely, although music was playing loud enough only in the right channel; I could barely hear it in the left channel.

Any input is welcome!

Does anyone else have similar equpiment and experience a similar problem?
Any suggestions on how to ground the turntable and/or eliminate the hum?

Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12610 is a reply to message #12609] Thu, 17 November 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Attach the ground wire from the table to the pre-amp chassis. The result of grounding to one RCA should make that work.
If not, there's a ground loop 'tween components. Try unplugging one component at a time until the hum goes away.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12611 is a reply to message #12610] Thu, 17 November 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you, Bill, for your input!

Actually, I did try doing so, but it did not help. My pre-amp has a grounding post, but connecting to it did not solve the problem. See here: http://www.audioannex.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=4&Number=58318&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0.

Thanks again!

Re: Turntable hum [message #12612 is a reply to message #12609] Thu, 17 November 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats a pretty old unit. It sounds like you have bad RCA jacks. First: does the other inputs on the pre-amp work? The aux and Tape?
Next; have you tried the table through another amp? Next have you checked continuity from the ground lug on the RCA to ground on the chassis? If you have a multi-meter you can check easily. Tell us if you are up to troubleshooting this problem.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12613 is a reply to message #12612] Thu, 17 November 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Dear manualblock,

Yes, the turntable was made in 1985 and it is a decent one, if not the problem that I am having.

My pre-amp has only two input channels and two output channels, nothing else, and it is specifically a phono (turntable) pre-amp. Unfortunately, I do not have another pre-amp, but this one is fine. I tried running other devices through it and there was no hum.

I did check the continuity of the grounding wire from the RCA to the ground on the chassis and it is fine.

Yes, I am to troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks for helping!

Re: Turntable hum [message #12614 is a reply to message #12613] Thu, 17 November 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'Kay then it has to be easy. Either the cartridge is bad or the internal wiring of the tonearm has a problem. Before we check that though can you tell me what exactly you used to test the inputs of the pre-amp? Was it another low level source like a turntable?

Re: Turntable hum [message #12615 is a reply to message #12614] Thu, 17 November 2005 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
There MIGHT be a problem with the cartridge, but I doubt it. I had another cartridge (Ortofon OM 10) and my turntable produced just the same noise. In fact, it does so even if the cartridge is not connected.

I tried running my computer audio output and my tape player through the preamp, and it worked well. (They do not need that, but I did it for the sake of testing).

Just a few minutes ago I thought about connecting the grounding wire to a power outlet's grounding post, but for that I need to modify the power and the grounding wires of my turntable. I can cut off the original plug, buy a 3-pin plug and safely connect the power wires and the grounding wire to it, after which it will be easy to use. Do you think it will work?

Thanks.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12618 is a reply to message #12615] Fri, 18 November 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No. Don't do that and remmember we told you not to. There is something not adding up here. Can you tell us what other tests you have tried? Maybe we can find the problem.

Re: Turntable hum [message #12621 is a reply to message #12618] Fri, 18 November 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
See this: http://www.audioannex.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=4&Number=58326&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0

And my response to that: http://www.audioannex.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=4&Number=58329&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0

I do not believe that there is something wrong with the turntable. I strongly believe that the problem is due to improper grounding (I tried a few ways, except the one that you suggest me not to try).

Re: Turntable hum [message #12622 is a reply to message #12621] Sat, 19 November 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'Kay; lets see. Can you indicate if there are any other grounding schemes you are using on the rest of your set-up? Like three into two prong plugs or say; Plugging your amp into the back of the pre-amp, those kind of things. I had a problem once with the wall out let forming a ground loop and the only way to alleviate it was to float the pre-amp by removing the third pin; the ground pin on it's plug.
Next can you tell a little about the pre-amp; what it's phono stage looks like; does it have a ground screw or post dedicated to the phono?

Previous Topic: Help needed with a turntable purchase
Next Topic: Automatic Reject rejects too soon. Fisher MT-6630
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:43:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout