Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Winging It
Winging It [message #89795] Mon, 11 February 2019 22:38 Go to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
My aunt wings everything and she ends up calling me to fix the things that setup in a wrong way. I usually take time to read the manual and follow the steps to the tee. When do we follow the instructions and when can we improvise?
Re: Winging It [message #89797 is a reply to message #89795] Tue, 12 February 2019 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
For me-

If you feel you've already done a similar procedure, we can wing it.
Of course, one of the best ways to learn is to fail first.

When your out of your knowledge base (ignorant) towards something , you would/should know that, and study first (especially if the attempt will be too costly for you).

Re: Winging It [message #89798 is a reply to message #89795] Tue, 12 February 2019 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
To me, I wing it when I can afford to change the equipment with a better one. If the thing is too expensive to be replaced, I go by the manual.
Re: Winging It [message #89810 is a reply to message #89798] Tue, 12 February 2019 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I always read the instructions first, but I look at them as guidelines rather than directions that are set in stone. I'll veer off track if I think using a different fastening or build technique would work better. I'll also make a substitution if what I already have on hand is similar to what the instructions call for. I've had a couple of DIY fails, but things usually work out okay.
Re: Winging It [message #89814 is a reply to message #89795] Tue, 12 February 2019 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
Thanks for your inputs. I've asked my aunt about this topic as I got curious about why she doesn't read the manual. She said that that was how she grew up with. They don't have manuals in the old days and you just have to figure out how to put things together.
Re: Winging It [message #91165 is a reply to message #89814] Thu, 14 November 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
If there are safety issues involved in a project, go by the "rules" then improvise where necessary. But please don't improvise on electrical projects. Bad things can easily happen.

I thought I would revive this topic to bring up the safety aspect of this.
Re: Winging It [message #91447 is a reply to message #91165] Mon, 17 February 2020 10:56 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Yeah, that's a good reminder. I don't often take the time to consider safety measures like I should. I don't usually wing it though. I'm not a talented builder, maker, craftsman, artisan, whatever you want to call it. I need basic directions to follow. I admire those who can wing it. I'm always having to run back to Home Depot or Ace to find the stuff I need since I don't have the skill for making substitutions.
Previous Topic: Projects for fun vs. saving money
Next Topic: Joe's basement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:32:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout