Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Projects for fun vs. saving money
Projects for fun vs. saving money [message #89786] Mon, 11 February 2019 09:27 Go to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Do you mostly take on DIY projects because you enjoy doing them or because it helps you get better audio/video gear at a good price? Have you ever wound up with a project that was a time-suck or money pit? I enjoy working in my shop, but I think about the only project that saved me a lot of money was the hi-fi speakers I recently made. I've fixed a lot of stuff and souped-up plenty of gear, which also saves money, but it's a time investment. I guess I mostly just do it for fun.
Re: Projects for fun vs. saving money [message #89789 is a reply to message #89786] Mon, 11 February 2019 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have been motivated about equal with the learning aspect, craftsman challenge and the savings to be had. I feel lucky that I found the two resources that fulfilled my audio curiosity and desire. My speakers and amplification came from diy sources.
Re: Projects for fun vs. saving money [message #89793 is a reply to message #89786] Mon, 11 February 2019 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
My father loved to tinker in his free time. I would say that he did it for leisure and learning. As for me, I fix things that were broken, but not to really save money or for the fun of doing it.
Re: Projects for fun vs. saving money [message #90010 is a reply to message #89793] Fri, 05 April 2019 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I'm primarily motivated to DIY because it saves money. I know that many things are cheaper to buy than they are to make from scratch, especially if you don't already have the materials and tools on hand. However, I save quite a bit by repairing minor things myself like the musical instruments we use. It just takes time to learn the necessary skills, then practicing to get it right.
Re: Projects for fun vs. saving money [message #90051 is a reply to message #89786] Mon, 08 April 2019 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I go with saving money. I repair the broken equipment in our home in order for us not to buy a new replacement. I don't necessarily build my own audio setup, but I try to fix them myself when they are broken.
Re: Projects for fun vs. saving money [message #90665 is a reply to message #89786] Wed, 10 July 2019 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
If I have the fortune of Tony Starks, then I would spend my money on tinkering things. In real life though, I would only try tinkering on something when it is already broken.
Re: Projects for fun vs. saving money [message #91166 is a reply to message #89786] Thu, 14 November 2019 11:49 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Most people I have known have done it for the cost savings. I grew up in a poor crowd. I'm one of the few in that crowd who ended up being able to do DIY type things for fun.
Previous Topic: Where do you look for ideas?
Next Topic: Winging It
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:07:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout