Home » xyzzy » Tower » Buyer's Remorse
Buyer's Remorse [message #89732] Wed, 06 February 2019 20:25 Go to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
When's the last time you experienced buyer's remorse after dropping some cash on a fancy item? What made the purchase less than ideal?

I'm not loving my new OLED, fancy-schmancy television as much as my old plasma television. The picture just isn't as bright despite my making the appropriate adjustments. Sometimes I miss my old tube T.V. from 1995. Just don't tell anyone.
Re: Buyer's Remorse [message #89745 is a reply to message #89732] Thu, 07 February 2019 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I bought a fairly expensive gaming computer that I never use. It was an impulse purchase that I made because it was on sale. I'm planning to take it to my nephew the next time I visit my sister. There's nothing wrong the computer, but I rarely play video games now.
Re: Buyer's Remorse [message #89782 is a reply to message #89745] Sun, 10 February 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
That is curious....really the difference between a gaming computer and a "normal" one is the level of performance. I intentionally buy gaming PCs. They will not be obsolete as fast when doing normal tasks as one that has less performance to start with. It seems that "normal" PCs tend to be made obsolete by changes in software and operating systems in about 3-4 years. A gaming PC can easily do the same tasks and run for a number of years more before having the same problem. It is true they cost a bit more....Of course if all you do is email and casual surfing then a PC may never become totally obsolete, just very slow.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Buyer's Remorse [message #89809 is a reply to message #89782] Tue, 12 February 2019 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Buyer's remorse comes about for many reasons. Maybe you find a better deal a few weeks after you made your purchase, or you stumble across a better, upgraded model for the same price you already paid. Maybe the product doesn't work at all or at least doesn't do what you thought it would do. Maybe the product works great and you got it on sale, but you rarely use it, so it just feels like wasted money. I fall into the latter category. I didn't buy a lemon, but it's still not useful to me and it wasn't exactly cheap so I have buyer's remorse.

I saw it on sale and thought it would be cool to get back into gaming. After all, I loved gaming as a kid and young-adult. It was the nostalgia that got me. I didn't give any thought to my busy life now or that I already have hobbies that fit with my social and work crowd. Plus, I travel a lot for work, so it's more convenient to use a laptop or tablet. While it's true that the gaming computer will probably last longer, I could have upgraded to a new laptop twice or so for that price. So the difference for me is the price, the lack of portability, and the ease of use. There's also the guilt of buying a frivolous product instead of putting the money into my savings or retirement fund. My nephew will love it though.
Re: Buyer's Remorse [message #90373 is a reply to message #89732] Mon, 27 May 2019 16:12 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
It is possible that I have made so many impulse purchases before to the extent of not even remembering a single instance. I think that most of my purchasing decisions have always arisen from the need to replace an old/lost model.
Previous Topic: Happy Pi Day
Next Topic: Workout Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:30:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout