Home » Audio » Source » Display or no?
Display or no? [message #89700] Mon, 04 February 2019 09:19 Go to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
What is the best way to display your vinyl collection while still protecting them from damage? Do you personally display your collection or do you only pull them out when you listen to them?
Re: Display or no? [message #89702 is a reply to message #89700] Mon, 04 February 2019 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Just keep them in their sleeves and stand them up on edge in a temperature and humidity controlled environment and you're good. By "controlled environment," I just mean indoors at a comfortable temperature rather than in the attic or storage shed.

As for display, if you have very few, you could display each like a photograph, just as long as they are standing on their edges and inside their sleeves. The vertical orientation helps protect the grooves from crushing, warping and other mechanical damage. The sleeves protect them from dust.

I think most people store them like books on a shelf though. This allows a lot of records to be stored in a relatively small space. Don't pack them too tightly though, or it's not much better than a horizontal stack. The whole reason we don't store them horizontally is the weight of the records will compress the vinyl on the bottom of the stack. So by the same token, pack them loosely when putting them on the shelf so there is no crushing force.
Re: Display or no? [message #89704 is a reply to message #89702] Mon, 04 February 2019 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I built shelving for my equipment and my most used records on the bottom. The shelf's slide out like drawers. I made them so you can go through the records like you would at a record store.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2330&private=0
  • Attachment: P8160075.JPG
    (Size: 275.03KB, Downloaded 404 times)
Re: Display or no? [message #89713 is a reply to message #89704] Tue, 05 February 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love those record drawers! Those are really cool!
Re: Display or no? [message #89719 is a reply to message #89704] Tue, 05 February 2019 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
Wow, nice setup, Rusty! I'm officially jealous. So neat and organized. My setups are always a bit haphazard, heh. Those speakers look amazing. How much did they run you?
Re: Display or no? [message #89720 is a reply to message #89719] Tue, 05 February 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thank you for the compliment's. Those speakers are the old Theater 4 Pi models. I don't remember the cost specifically it was so long back. I spect about 400 overall for the parts. I put them together with plans Wayne supplied. They've served me very well. But they are big old beasts. I've wanted to do subwoofers with them, but they have good low end, and they eat up a lot of room. With the Pi's and my tubed amps and preamp, I've been pretty well immune to feeling any upgradeitis for near a couple decades now.
Re: Display or no? [message #89811 is a reply to message #89720] Tue, 12 February 2019 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
Your audio equipment looks so nice! Mine gets banged around by grandkids, cats, and dogs. That's one reason that I want to get my vinyl out of the way. I like your drawer system. I also love the speakers. Were they difficult to put together? About how long have you had them? They look new. Thanks for sharing the pic.
Re: Display or no? [message #89858 is a reply to message #89700] Tue, 26 February 2019 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
I store mine in a rack that I bought specifically for the records. I have a knack for banging stuff up and not keeping it in the best shape. Laughing I didn't want that to happen to my records, so I purchased something to keep them neat, tidy and safe.
Re: Display or no? [message #90279 is a reply to message #89700] Fri, 10 May 2019 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Displays.......Have a shelf or shelves dedicated for this purpose, track lighting and in a temperature controlled room. Behind glass, have your favorite album displayed and, beside it not behind glass, other albums by the same artist stored at a slight angle. Then beside that, another favorite of a different artist behind glass, front displayed, with the other albums stored as above for easy access to be played.

Time and money allotted, that's what I would do.
Re: Display or no? [message #90558 is a reply to message #90279] Sat, 29 June 2019 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Those are gorgeous Pi speakers, Rusty! You've got a nice layout going. All I'd need is a comfy chair to kick back in.

My sister (Lost the Remote) and I found our dad's record collection when we were cleaning up his stuff after he passed away. I display the ones that were signed by the artist since they were obviously important to Dad. I have them standing in a glass cabinet away from sunlight. I turn them every now and then since that's what the advice I found said to do. Maybe you could display your favorites and tuck away the rest.

I've seen some cool projects on Pinterest with old records that are no longer salvageable. After I get the acoustics fixed in this apartment I'm going to work on something creative. Maybe I'll do something with his old records that won't play.
Previous Topic: New DAC
Next Topic: Marketing Tricks To Sell More Vinyl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:56:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout