Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Ancient Egypt
icon3.gif  Ancient Egypt [message #89623] Sat, 26 January 2019 13:56 Go to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
I've always had a fascination with the ancient Egyptians. I've seen every documentary I can get my hands on and read tons of information over the years. There are so many theories out there about how their society ran and what the true purpose of the pyramids was. I learned in grade school (as we probably all did) that the pyramids were used as tombs for royalty but that theory doesn't really hold up once you delve further into all the available knowledge we have. I don't think we'll ever really know but that's part of what makes it so fun to study. So much mystery.
Re: Ancient Egypt [message #89626 is a reply to message #89623] Sat, 26 January 2019 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm interested in ancient history too. The whole region from Egypt to Mesopotamia is fascinating to me.
Re: Ancient Egypt [message #89643 is a reply to message #89626] Tue, 29 January 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I agree that we don't know a lot about things that went on 1000's of years ago. I also don't buy the we have been visited by aliens and helped along the way either. Shocked I believe that it degrades our human capabilities. The folks from that era were most likely just as smart as we are, and just as inventive. The difference being that they didn't have the technology we have now. Clearly they had some concepts (like moving 100 ton monoliths) that we struggle with now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ancient Egypt [message #89645 is a reply to message #89643] Tue, 29 January 2019 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I tend to ignore the "flat-earthers" and other nonsense-Nellys when I watch shows about ancient history. I have read enough from respected scholars in the field that I can sense the nutcases and tune them out. The scholarly sources I like to read are from people like Samuel Noah Kramer on the Sumerians, William Foxwell Albright on the Canaanites and Israelites, etc.
Re: Ancient Egypt [message #89830 is a reply to message #89645] Wed, 13 February 2019 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just caught the last part of this Nova special, Decoding the Great Pyramid. Lot's of interesting new insight into how they were made and what the Egyptian culture surrounding their building was like.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/decoding-the-great-pyramid/
Re: Ancient Egypt [message #90433 is a reply to message #89623] Sat, 15 June 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Echo is currently offline  Echo
Chancellor
I have always been fascinated by Ancient Egypt and I never miss a chance to watch or read more about it. The last thing I have watched was about The Book of The Dead. It was truly amazing!
Re: Ancient Egypt [message #90992 is a reply to message #89643] Tue, 01 October 2019 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
You would think we would have figured out how they got such precise cuts by now. That, and pully system they almost had to have had. That's what amazes me. To this day we still cannot replicate what they did.
Re: Ancient Egypt [message #96193 is a reply to message #89623] Sun, 13 November 2022 04:52 Go to previous message
Vincenzo is currently offline  Vincenzo
Esquire
Very interesting.
Previous Topic: It's very hard
Next Topic: I Hate Ants
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:15:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio