Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Making your audio sound better
Making your audio sound better [message #89599] Mon, 21 January 2019 03:43 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
You've probably heard that moving speakers to the middle of the room counts towards having a good listening experience. However, what is the recommended distance given that in order to get best sound, you should move a lot closer to your speakers?
Re: Making your audio sound better [message #89665 is a reply to message #89599] Thu, 31 January 2019 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I've always heard that you're supposed to position yourself the same distance from your speakers as they are to each other so that you're basically forming a triangle. I'm unsure about this method's veracity though.
Re: Making your audio sound better [message #89778 is a reply to message #89599] Sun, 10 February 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I know that positioning of the speakers, relative to the sitting position, counts towards the overall sound experience and quality. Can we really have a general sitting position or this will probably vary depending on the shape of the room?
Re: Making your audio sound better [message #89859 is a reply to message #89599] Tue, 26 February 2019 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
As far as I know, the speakers are supposed to be at least a few inches away from the wall, but I'm not sure about being in the "middle of the room". I guess it would depend on the size of the room as well.
Re: Making your audio sound better [message #89860 is a reply to message #89859] Wed, 27 February 2019 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It depends on the speakers, the room and assorted other factors. Most do seem to work better a few feet from the side and rear walls but there is no accurate general rule that I know of. Some special ones like the electrostatics I have did come with some formulas to start with. Being dipolar speakers there is as much sound coming from the rear as front. This greatly complicates the set up. For more typical speakers the room shape, reflectivity, height and furniture all have an influence on the sound. Wayne has done a lot of studying of how speakers interact with the room and I would hope he would chime in on this. IMO he's the expert here.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Making your audio sound better [message #89863 is a reply to message #89599] Thu, 28 February 2019 09:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out the links below and then do further study by searching terms like "room modes," "multisubs" and "flanking subs." Might also study the concept of the "reverberent field" and the difference between the "modal region" and the "statistical region" of sound in the room.
Previous Topic: Damping Foam
Next Topic: JBL M2 Setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:06:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout