Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Do you need any special skills to equalize sound?
Do you need any special skills to equalize sound? [message #89550] Fri, 11 January 2019 02:27 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
We all probably know that this is best left to sound engineers but all the same, are there tricks that a layman can learn and apply? I think that the ability to listen and pay attention to sound, is a good starting point.
Re: Do you need any special skills to equalize sound? [message #89597 is a reply to message #89550] Sat, 19 January 2019 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
EQ skills are acquired and it is easier for some people that the rest. Anything that revolves around sound requires practice and an ever-present desire to improve your skills. Luckily for us, almost every sort of material is now available online.
Re: Do you need any special skills to equalize sound? [message #89669 is a reply to message #89597] Thu, 31 January 2019 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Sure, sound engineers undoubtedly do a great job, but there are software programs and plug-ins that equalize sound automatically for the rest of us mortals. One example is Soundtheory's plug-in called Gullfoss which works on Macs. Another example is an app called FxSound which works on Windows.
Re: Do you need any special skills to equalize sound? [message #89727 is a reply to message #89669] Wed, 06 February 2019 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Strum Drum wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 16:31
Sure, sound engineers undoubtedly do a great job, but there are software programs and plug-ins that equalize sound automatically for the rest of us mortals. One example is Soundtheory's plug-in called Gullfoss which works on Macs. Another example is an app called FxSound which works on Windows.
I have FxSound installed in my PC even though I have never mastered how it works. It takes a person with a keen ear and great attention to detail, to learn how to equalize sound. It will definitely be easier and much simpler for some people as compared to others.
Re: Do you need any special skills to equalize sound? [message #91158 is a reply to message #89727] Thu, 14 November 2019 08:10 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Having a good ear for the details within music is a good start. And wanting to do a good job is just as important as knowing how to do a good job in my opinion.
Previous Topic: Adjustments for mouth-breathers and whisperers
Next Topic: The future of audio engineering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:48:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout