Home » Audio » General » Recording audio with the phone
Recording audio with the phone [message #89536] Thu, 10 January 2019 05:38 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
A modern smartphone has all the capabilities of recording great audio. Apart from getting as close as is possible to the source and using the airplane/flight mode, how can things like sound distortion be minimized or eliminated?
Re: Recording audio with the phone [message #89545 is a reply to message #89536] Thu, 10 January 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Adding a portable microphone to your mobile phone can make a world of difference. Also, be mindful of where your built-in mics are located and leave those spots uncovered.
Re: Recording audio with the phone [message #89552 is a reply to message #89545] Fri, 11 January 2019 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Lost the Remote wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 13:49
Adding a portable microphone to your mobile phone can make a world of difference. Also, be mindful of where your built-in mics are located and leave those spots uncovered.
This is a great point because smartphone designs vary and the quality of the audio will not necessarily be the same. There is definitely a lot that goes into recording good quality audio.
Re: Recording audio with the phone [message #89559 is a reply to message #89552] Fri, 11 January 2019 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Heavy winds and thunder can cause interference so if you have the chance, avoid recording around those weather conditions. Some audio recording programs are worth trying as you can tweak the settings for what you're trying to accomplish. I personally like Titanium Recorder which is a free app (with ads) for Android phones. There's a bit of a learning curve, but there are tutorials online that will help you get started.
Re: Recording audio with the phone [message #89562 is a reply to message #89559] Sat, 12 January 2019 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
musicluvr wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 20:50
Heavy winds and thunder can cause interference so if you have the chance, avoid recording around those weather conditions. Some audio recording programs are worth trying as you can tweak the settings for what you're trying to accomplish. I personally like Titanium Recorder which is a free app (with ads) for Android phones. There's a bit of a learning curve, but there are tutorials online that will help you get started.
It had never occured to me that you can incorporate an app and so I may have to look for one that is compatible with an iPhone. It is surely a learning curve and it takes time to master how to do it correctly.
Re: Recording audio with the phone [message #89694 is a reply to message #89536] Mon, 04 February 2019 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I'm no expert, but there are some audio applications where you can edit your recording. We can reduce the noise or enhance the sound quality. Just make sure that you have a backup of the original audio file when you edit.
Re: Recording audio with the phone [message #89705 is a reply to message #89536] Mon, 04 February 2019 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hummm. I believe you are somewhat in error. Many newer phones can play great audio. None I know of can record it decently without additional equipment. At the very least a good microphone. The built in ones are designed for voice frequencies and do well at that. There are devices (digital recorders) that are similar in size to phones. Many come with microphones as well. They tend to be a bit costly, but do the job well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Recording audio with the phone [message #89711 is a reply to message #89536] Tue, 05 February 2019 08:32 Go to previous message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I stand corrected. I may have watched too many movies or TV series about law enforcement. So what kind of features does a smartphone have for us to consider if we will use it for voice or sound recording?
Previous Topic: Does the sound improve?
Next Topic: Rules
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:03:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout