Home » Audio » Home Theater » Problem with new OLED T.V.
Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89478] Wed, 02 January 2019 20:05 Go to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I did my research before buying and this one had good reviews, but my goodness the picture is horrible! The screen is so dark that I can barely see the picture no matter what I do. I've read the manual and I'm certain that I have hooked the television up correctly. I hate to return it because I'll be assessed a restocking fee. Is there anything I'm missing in terms of troubleshooting?
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89479 is a reply to message #89478] Wed, 02 January 2019 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Well, those televisions and the LED models are darker than others. I'm sure you found that information in your research, so it's either darker than you expected or something else is going on. Is the whole screen dim or just a portion of it? Did you calibrate your new television? If not, I'd start there.
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89481 is a reply to message #89479] Thu, 03 January 2019 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
You're correct; I knew the screen wouldn't be as bright as some others as new technology has its advantages and disadvantages. I chose what I thought would work best for us after weighing the pros and cons. Here's the thing though, I looked at the floor model at Best Buy and the picture was amazing! The screen was bright! I've played around with calibration and haven't found a solution.
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89482 is a reply to message #89481] Thu, 03 January 2019 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Is it an LG? If so, you might have it in energy-saving mode, which I believe automatically dims the screen. Go into your settings and look for something that says Eco mode, energy-saving mode, green mode or something similar and turn it off. I know Sony makes OLED TVs too, but I'm not familiar with those. They could very well have a similar setting that's the culprit. You could also check with Best Buy about the settings they used in their model T.V. Store lighting is very different so that could be playing a role in your perception as well.
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89492 is a reply to message #89478] Fri, 04 January 2019 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Yes most new panels come in energy saving mode, and are very dark and disappointing when you first power them on.

Also, as far as I know led and then oled are the brightest display screens around (also lcd).
The darker where the plasma, which are no longer produced.

I own all plasma and wish they still were available. If in a room with all windows they were a bit dark but not towards their final production years. Also their motion blur was non existent.. but so are the better oled's.
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89496 is a reply to message #89492] Sun, 06 January 2019 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
You guys nailed it! Really, the first page in the owner's manual should read, "Hey, if you can't see the picture, change the power mode." I wonder how many people have returned their television because they thought something was wrong with it due to this "feature". I took the television out of energy-saving mode and recalibrated it for good measure. All is well now. I sure appreciate the help!
johnnycamp5 wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 18:20

I own all plasma and wish they still were available. If in a room with all windows they were a bit dark but not towards their final production years. Also their motion blur was non existent.. but so are the better oled's.
I thought about getting a large plasma television because I like the one in my den that's 30 inches. I found some excellent deals, but decided not to get one since they aren't being manufactured anymore. To me, it just didn't make sense to spend money on old technology when the new technology is just as good if not better.
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89572 is a reply to message #89478] Sun, 13 January 2019 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I am glad that you found a solution rather than returning it and getting charged a fee. I have never had trouble with these reputable brands even when I wasn't getting great picture quality. Most of the time, it has had to be with not getting it right in the settings. I hope you are now enjoying your watching experience.
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89594 is a reply to message #89478] Sat, 19 January 2019 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
I just looked up OLED televisions and WOW - look at those prices. Shocked
My television better unbox itself and start talking to me if I paid that much for it. I'm glad you got it working. My go-to troubleshooting method for my TV is to fiddle with the "Picture Mode" settings.
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89601 is a reply to message #89594] Mon, 21 January 2019 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
TheWanderer wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 15:32
My television better unbox itself and start talking to me if I paid that much for it. I'm glad you got it working. My go-to troubleshooting method for my TV is to fiddle with the "Picture Mode" settings.
These TVs are pricey but I am sure that better deals can be gotten if you look at the right places. TV technology changes really fast and you don't necessarily need to upgrade if your current set works just fine!
Re: Problem with new OLED T.V. [message #89602 is a reply to message #89601] Mon, 21 January 2019 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
lilbill wrote on Mon, 21 January 2019 04:53
TheWanderer wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 15:32
These TVs are pricey but I am sure that better deals can be gotten if you look at the right places. TV technology changes really fast and you don't necessarily need to upgrade if your current set works just fine!
In my experience,
it used to be that the best time to get the "latest and greatest", or even last years model tv's was right before the Superbowl...

So I'd say, start shopping next week LOL....

Previous Topic: Wall Color
Next Topic: The most expensive Home Theater Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:57:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout